• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Washer 417.48102701 changed control board twice: some settings are still dead and washer won't run

bb77

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi, some months ago my washing machine would finish a cycle and a few minutes after being all done something would turn back on and there'd be clicking/clanking sounds. To prevent this I'd keep the washer unplugged during loads. The wash itself seemed to work fine. Eventually the washer wouldn't turn on anymore.

I presumed it was the main control board that's behind the buttons and knobs and replaced it. The replaced control board wouldn't light up anything on "normal" and "permanent press" and some other wash cycles. Some cycles lit up. No cycle would allow me to start a wash. I never checked these other settings with the old control board which I just left in the "normal" or "permanent press" mode.

I called an appliance repair company. The tech was convinced the new control board I'd purchased was bad and that the issue I'm experiencing is indeed due to a bad control board. So I returned the one I'd bought and bought a second one from a different online parts seller. The very same problem persists with the now twice replaced control board. The same functions do and don't light up and the washer won't turn on regardless of the wash choice that has been selected.

What is the problem, and how do I fix this? Thank you.

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Shawnryan111

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Some controls require programming to work properly. Some controls have a jumper wire on the control that "tells" the machine what model it has been installed on.

I do not know if either of these are true for your machine but if there were instructions with the control read them and make sure the original control doesn't still have this jumper wire.

bb77

Premium Member
Thank you for the input. No instructions were included. The second control board I received came with a 1/2 sheet of paper stating "ATTENTION! Testing has shown the reed switch is not needed on front load washers. If the washer has a reed switch . . ." I did not see a reed switch.

I've previously replaced the control board on the accompanying dryer without any issue.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
417.481027 is a partial model number, we need the complete model number first, read it from the model number tag located inside the door.

Jake

bb77

Premium Member
417.48102701. Thank you for pointing that out. Is there an edit feature for me to correct the info in my original post?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks! I changed it for you. I don't see a REED switch on your model.

Here's the repair manual for your model: https://www.applianceblog.com/manuals...asher_2004.pdf

Let's check for a error code.

Read Page 10 in the service manual I posted above. You have the "GOOD" model(non-digital display). So an error code will be read with the flashing lights you count.

If you can't even get it to run the diagnostics, then it's definitely a bad main control board.

Here's the main control board for your model:
137005010 Control-Electrical

Jake

bb77

Premium Member
Jake, thank you for fixing my error and the info and link for the manual. It's all very helpful!

I've tried running the diagnostic. It will not run the diagnostic. I understand that that indicates a bad control board, but what are the odds that two new control boards are failing to function in the exact same way? (and maybe my original control board as well which I haven't plugged back in).

Might this not indicate a bad wire or connector that gets plugged into the control board or whatever thing the wire connects to on the other end of the control board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
what are the odds that two new control boards are failing to function in the exact same way? (and maybe my original control board as well which I haven't plugged back in).

Might this not indicate a bad wire or connector that gets plugged into the control board or whatever thing the wire connects to on the other end of the control board?
Plug the original board back in and see.

If you are getting the new boards at amazon or ebay, chances are very good you are getting defective boards, we only advice customers to order from online appliance part supplies that ONLY sell OEM appliance parts.

Did you order it from AppliancePartsPros or RepairClinic ?

AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic Always has a 365 day warranty on ALL parts.

bb77

Premium Member
I got the first one from Sears PartsDirect and the second one from AppliancePartsPros. Since my last update, the appliance repair company sent out another tech (who was a lot more thorough), and he seems to have discovered that the other control board, the motor control board, is bad. He saw burn marks on the circuit board (I think I'm conveying that correctly.)

Nonetheless, he tried to clean the contacts with soapy water and a toothbrush. The main control board was lighting up other settings, but he still couldn't get the washer to work. I'll be ordering the motor control board and attempt installation myself, as I found what looks to be a great video on AppliancePartsPros. Hopefully my original main control board will then work, and I'll only need the one part. Will update . . . thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

bb77

Premium Member
Thank you for the link. Do you think the washer is worth repairing? The part would cost me $370 incl. shipping and tax. My washer is 13 years old. The tech said the belt has a tear, but he estimates it'll last another year. He also pointed out that the door opens and closes very easily and is concerned that the locking mechanism may unexpectedly fail (but that was only based on physically opening and closing the door, not inspecting the latch itself.) Is my washer built better than the newer ones? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
At 13 years old, IMO its more wise to save the repair money for a new washer.:)

Is my washer built better than the newer ones?
Not really. That's about the average time they last now. The good old days of 20 to 30 years are long gone unfortunately.

Jake

bb77

Premium Member
I saw a post where you recommended Maytag, Whirlpool and Amana. I'm considering a Whirlpool but one review says that the revised model removed easy access to the water filter. Should this be a concern? I don't see access to a water filter on my Kenmore, and I never had it cleaned out. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, that's not a worry. My Maytag washer does not have one either.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anytime!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.