• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore washer wont spin during spin cycle, doesnt make noise either

Christian Collins

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My washer has been spinning sometimes and not other times, it seems random and independent of load size, spin speed. It also usually spins at the end of the wash cycle, but not during the actual "spin cycle" part but its kind of random. When it doesn't spin it doesn't make any noise that would indicate the motor is running so I dont think its a bad coupler, it makes a very slight buzzing&ticking sound, like its trying to electrically start some process but it isnt happening. I could try to get a recording of the sound tonight if that might be helpful. This noise is very quiet though, and it could just be the timer.

It agitates and drains every time.

Any advice on whats going wrong with this? I'll be taking it apart tonight to look In hopes that i can find something stuck in a pump or a sock stuck in in between parts but it seems like a long shot. So far its unlike other "not spinning" problems I've seen posted or fix videos on youtube.

Thank you!

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's the part you need:
Whirlpool WP3949210 Timer - AppliancePartsPros.com
whirlpool-timer-wp3949210-ap6008879_01_m.jpg

Christian Collins

Premium Member
Thanks for the help rick! I took the timer apart and the contacts were absolutely destroyed for the spin cycle. I was also able to polish them up a bit and get it to work (hopefully until I get a new timer in) One more quick question, do you think its safe to purchase a refurbished timer for $70 with a year guarantee or would I be better off paying for a new timer? I do about 3 loads of laundry a week and have no idea how long a new timer will last, but I just need this washer to last for about 2.5 more years (then I'll move and likely sell it for cheap).

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If you got the points cleaned and it's working, don't buy a new or refurbished timer. You can keep that one working for a few more years.