FIXED Kenmore & Whirlpool Ice Maker LED Blinking Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
100,005
Location
McMullen Valley, Arizona
Model Number
106 Whirlpool
Brand
-major brand-
Age
6-10 years
Ok, I have my chart here for the Ice Maker Blinking Codes:

Step#1: Open the freezer and view the status led

(STATUS LED)

2 BLINKS FOLLOWED BY 1 SEC. DELAY(REPEATED)

POSSIBLE CAUSES: The flapper door on the emitter is blocking the beam or the optics are faultly.


Step#2: Press the emitter flapper to unblock the optics beam

(STATUS LED)

2 BLINKS FOLLOWED BY 1 SEC. DELAY(REPEATED)

POSSIBLE CAUSES: The optics are faulty. Replace the emitter and receiver boards.

If the LED is on steady: The optics are working properly.

Here are the optics control boards you can order, they come together in 1 kit with instructions(Video Included):
W10757851 Cntrl-Elec


Jake
 

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
100,005
Location
McMullen Valley, Arizona
Sounds good Nelson.:)

Jake
 

hcpitt931

Premium Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2006
Messages
2
Location
Oklahoma City
When Running this LED Test

Dont worry about the door closed switch at the top of the fridge. I kept on wondering if it was supposed to be taped down to make the thing think that the door was closed etc....(like in normal operation) The test described above is run with the door open(thus the fridge light is on) If you tape the switch at the top of the door shut(light is out) then it just causes the LED to do remain out and makes you think the system is broke(at least i did until i looked at the wiring diagram and noticed the reprecussions) RUN THE LED TEST WITH THE FREEZER DOOR OPEN

clint
 

a10acboy

Premium Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2006
Messages
7
Location
Texas
Success!!!

I order the parts, they arrived in 2 days. It took about 5 minutes to install, and it works like a charm. The parts supplier was fast and much cheaper than Sears.

Thanks for all of your help!

Nelson

"Gravity..... It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"
 

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
100,005
Location
McMullen Valley, Arizona
noleatl said:
What if the led light is not lit at all?
Then you would need the new P.C. Board assembly listed above.

Jake
 

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
100,005
Location
McMullen Valley, Arizona
a10acboy said:
I order the parts, they arrived in 2 days. It took about 5 minutes to install, and it works like a charm. The parts supplier was fast and much cheaper than Sears.

Thanks for all of your help!

Nelson

"Gravity..... It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"
Good job Nelson, glad you got it working again!:)

Thanks for the update.

Jake
 

noleatl

Premium Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2006
Messages
2
Location
Marietta
Thanks, I have not yet taken out the icemaker so forgive my ignorance. Where is the PCB located? Is it in the icemaker? Elswhere?


Jake said:
Then you would need the new P.C. Board assembly listed above.

Jake
 

a10acboy

Premium Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2006
Messages
7
Location
Texas
PCB location

As you open the door on the side-by-side, the PCB receiver is on the side wall with the ice maker lever (left hand on my fridge), the PCB transmitter is on the side that also contains the on/off switch (right hand on my fridge). 3 screws holds the cover on.
 

Silver03

Premium Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
19
Location
Colorado
I am having the same issue listed previously, however, the LED is not working on either side of the freezer. Do I just need to replace the boards provided at the beginning of this thread? Thanks for the help. Or could it be something else since neither side is working?

Shawn
 

a10acboy

Premium Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2006
Messages
7
Location
Texas
Silver03

When I tested my LEDs, sometimes they would blink once, sometimes not at all. I unplugged my refrigerator, plugged it back in and then checked the led, and this was the only way I could ever see an LED lit up. I think it's a safe bet to replace the boards.
Nelson
 

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
100,005
Location
McMullen Valley, Arizona
Silver03 said:
I am having the same issue listed previously, however, the LED is not working on either side of the freezer. Do I just need to replace the boards provided at the beginning of this thread? Thanks for the help. Or could it be something else since neither side is working?

Shawn
Yes, sounds like yours is completely dead.

Jake
 

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
100,005
Location
McMullen Valley, Arizona
a10acboy said:
When I tested my LEDs, sometimes they would blink once, sometimes not at all. I unplugged my refrigerator, plugged it back in and then checked the led, and this was the only way I could ever see an LED lit up. I think it's a safe bet to replace the boards.
Nelson
Yes, it sounds like it, what position are the ice maker ejector blades at?

Jake
 

a10acboy

Premium Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2006
Messages
7
Location
Texas
Hi Jake,
I was replying to Silver03. I replcaced my boards about a month ago and all is well.
Nelson
 

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
100,005
Location
McMullen Valley, Arizona
Opps, sorry Its been a long day.:eek:

Jake
 

Silver03

Premium Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
19
Location
Colorado
Jake said:
Yes, sounds like yours is completely dead.

Jake
Thanks for the reply! Do you mean it sounds like the emitter and reciever boards are dead or a more major component is dead? Thanks again for the help.

Shawn
 

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
100,005
Location
McMullen Valley, Arizona
Just the emitter and reciever boards.:)

Jake
 

rj3

Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
1
Location
cleveland
Jake,

I've read this thread and checked my LED code. My optics appear to be working, that is, when the flapper is closed, the LED is on steady. So, if the optics are good, but the ice maker doesn't work, but the water dispenser is working, is the likely culprit a frozen feeder tube I read about in another thread?

Thanks.
 

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
100,005
Location
McMullen Valley, Arizona
rj3 said:
Jake,

I've read this thread and checked my LED code. My optics appear to be working, that is, when the flapper is closed, the LED is on steady. So, if the optics are good, but the ice maker doesn't work, but the water dispenser is working, is the likely culprit a frozen feeder tube I read about in another thread?

Thanks.
Yes, thats possible. Does your Ice Maker sit in the very front top of the freezer? If so, look above the ice maker, you should see a black rubber tube that comes down from the freezer ceiling, check to see if ice is clogging that.

Jake
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top