FIXED Kenmore & Whirlpool Ice Maker LED Blinking Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildblue

Premium Member
Yes I did - holding the flapper closed doesn't change anything. Still 2 blinks / 1 sec / 2 blinks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then order the new optics kit.

Jake

Jeff Goodman

Premium Member
Hi. I have a Kenmore 106.56536400 and it stopped making ice. I have checked the fill line and there is no blockage. Drinking water dispenser still works fine. I poured water into the tray, but the ice won't drop. led test appears normal (solid when flap is held down). Any ideas? Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check for 120 VAC going into the ice maker at the connection behind it. You might need a new ice maker. Could also be a door switch, check that also.

buck2233

Ok my optics are working fine. My flappers are up and out a little it had ice in the trays but it isn't making ice and my main tray is almost empty. Model number is 106.56676501

What can I check now. I pulled the entire assembly out.
Thanks buck2233

rickgburton

Staff member
If the optics are good then it's either the valve or the ice maker. There are two ways to check it. The easy way is put some water in the ice maker mold and see if it dumps the ice. The other way is to force cycle the ice maker and see if it fills.
FORCE CYCLE
To force cycle the ice-maker, remove the cover over the module and locate holes “T” and “H”. Take a small piece of wire bent in the shape of a U and short “T” and “H” together. The ice-maker will start the harvest cycle. Wait about 10 seconds and remove wire. The Ice maker will continue through the cycle. At the end of the harvest cycle the ice-maker supplies the coil on the water valve with 110 VAC.
NOTE: If your refrigerator uses the Optics, you’ll also have to tape the emitter flap back and not block the space between the emitter and receiver. You will also need to hold the light switch in until the ice maker starts then remove the wire. Close the freezer door.

JamieWG

Premium Member
Hi, I have a Whirlpool model GS5SHAXSB00. It has stopped making ice, there were cubes about a fourth size of normal in the tray. The optics seem to be operating correctly. I noticed from an earlier post about closing the flap and the door light and if the IM was in harvest mode that the LED would blink every second. I tried this and it appears to be in harvest mode. The fingers are pointing forward and down. I get water from the water dispenser on the front.
Thanks for your help

rickgburton

Staff member
JamieWG:
TEST FOR WHIRLPOOL OPTICS
Open the freezer door and check the status LED 2 Blinks followed by a 1 second delay-repeated: Tape the emitter door back so it doesn’t block the beam 2 Blinks followed by a 1 second delay: Bad optics Part# 4389102

LED is on steady: Optics good

FORCE CYCLE
To force cycle the ice-maker, remove the cover over the module and locate holes “T” and “H”. Take a small piece of wire bent in the shape of a U and short “T” and “H” together. The ice-maker will start the harvest cycle. Wait about 10 seconds and remove wire. The Ice maker will continue through the cycle. At the end of the harvest cycle the ice-maker supplies the coil on the water valve with 110 VAC.
NOTE: If your refrigerator uses the Optics, you’ll also have to tape the emitter flap back and not block the space between the emitter and receiver. You will also need to hold the light switch in until the ice maker starts then remove the wire. Close the freezer door.

Tedrrre

Premium Member
Mine is a kitchenAid side by side unit not whirlpool as you stated. Is it the same part # for the Optics?

Tedrre

JamieWG

Premium Member
The optics are good. I jumped T and H and nothing seemed to happen. This morning the tray seemed warm to the touch, but not now. What's next? Thanks for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

tanyaandallie

Hi there. Hope it is ok to post my question here. I have a whirlpool side by side fridge. Model no. GD5YHAXNL00.

The ice maker is no longer making ice. The water dispenser is working. I checked the LED as you have mentioned and it is steady when the little door is closed. So, I don't think optics are the problem. I noticed on one old thread that someone with a similar problem to mine, you recommended replacing the ice maker. Do I need to replace it or do I need to make sure that it is not a different problem before replacing it? I tried to take the ice maker out so that I could shoot water into the rubber black thing (sorry, I know not the correct terminology) but cannot disconnect the electrical plug. Waiting on my husband to get home to see if he can get it undone. They seem to be stuck. I did manage to shoot water up there even though the ice maker is not completely detached but nothing really happened. It doesn't feel like there is ice up there but I have no idea.

Would love some advise. I really don't want to have to pay someone to come out if replacing the ice maker is the answer. I think we can do that. We cannot handle anything electrical. :)

rickgburton

Staff member
OK tanyaandallie, if you have it out far enough to where you can locate holes "T" and "H" on the power module (lower right) try this: Disconnect the water line for the ice maker at the water valve behind the machine and put a bowl or something under it to catch water. Next tape the emitter door flap back. Use a small piece of insulated wire bent in the shape of a "U" and short holes "T and "H" together. You'll need to hold the door switch in. The ice maker will start a harvest cycle. Wait 5 seconds then remove the wire. The ice maker will continue on it own. Then close the door (or continue holding the door switch in) and near the end of the harvest cycle it will call for water from the valve. If the valve works and put's water in the bowl then there is either ice in the line or the ice maker failed. No water the water valve probably needs to be replaced. If you have access to a volt meter, and don't want to disconnect the water line, set it on AC volts and put the probes in the wire connector on the water valve solenoid for the ice maker. 120 VAC and no water = Bad valve.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

te-wa

Premium Member
i didn't read all 34 pages, so forgive me..

ice maker on top/front, whirlpool gold (stainless steel side by side) and i came home to what looked like a water bomb. entire freezer full of ice from what looked like the inlet hose staying on for several seconds, with nowhere for the excess water to go. turn off fridge, melt the ice. now the tray wont activate or move the fingers at all. they are in the 2oclock position, but no movement from gears or motor. and no water comes from inlet hose, and it is not frozen.
led system working fine. in fridge side, the "ICE MAGIC" button is on.
filter is new, door water works.

what the #*$ could be the issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.