KFFS20EYMS00 Defrost doesn't work!

Marsheur

Model Number
KFFS20EYMS00
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello everyone ! I'm new here :)

I have problem with defrost on my refrigerator KFFS20EYMS00. Ice is forming and defrost doesn't seem to work at all. Ice need to be remove every week with an hair dryer. I tested the heater with a multimeter and there are continuity in the resistance. Maybe the problem is the thermistor which read around 4700 ohm at room temperature? What else could cause this problem?

Marsheur

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I need to see your tech. data sheet first, I'll see if our other tech. bigbuck has it.

Jake

Marsheur

I have read online that the thermistor WPW10383615 should read 11000ohm at room temperature is it correct?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No,

WHILE ITS FROSTY, your freezer evaporator thermistor should read about 8.7K ohms. Always Unplug the refrigerator first before ohm testing.

If its not frosty put in a glass of ice water and wait at least 5 minutes before ohm testing it.

Here's the evaporator thermistor for your model you can order, if needed:
WPW10383615 Thermistor

Let us know what you find.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
UI.jpg

Set the freezer temperature to the lowest setting so LED #1 is the only one illuminated.

Press switch #6 and switch #4 simultaneously for several seconds until all the LEDs turn on and off then release both buttons.

All the icons and loads will turn off.

Press switch 1. This is test 1 of the diagnostics tests.

Each test must be manually advanced using switch 1.

You must remain in each test for a minimum 5 seconds before advancing to the next test.

Each test (except 7 and 8) will turn on a component or turn off a component. You will need to check if that component is on.

Test 13 is service complete. Press switch 1.

If the thermistors tested good in test 7, the refrigerator will return to normal cooling mode.

If a thermistor is bad:

LED 1 – freezer thermistor

LED 5 – evaporator thermistor

LEDs 1-2-3-and 4 – fresh food thermistor

Here's the tests: