• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KFFS20EYMS00 KitchenAid ice maker not working

Danny G I

Premium Member
Model Number
KFFS20EYMS00
Brand
KitchenAid
defrosted freezer compartment manually due to icing ran diagnostic test and now the ice maker does not work

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
defrosted freezer compartment manually due to icing
Ice on the ice maker or frost on the evaporator cover? How did you defrost it? Is the bail arm on the ice maker all the way down?

Danny G I

Premium Member
no ice on the ice maker worked properly before i had to remove it to remove the solid ice on the evaporator. put everything back together and ran the diagnostic to see whats causing the freezeup on the the evaporator. it shows the mullion heater and damper are a problem. running two days now . no frost and no ice on evaporator cover. what could i have done to the ice maker.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, take the cover off the ice maker power module and locate holes "L" and "N". Use your meter to check for 120 VAC.
R-Ice Maker Module No Cover.jpg

If the voltage is correct, try to force cycle the ice maker. Use a small wire bent in the shape of a "U" and short holes "T" and "H". When the white gear starts to turn remove the wire then close the door. You may need to hold a door switch in to get it started. The ice maker will complete a harvest cycle and then fill for about 7 seconds.
R-IM T H.jpg

Danny G I

Premium Member
no power to the N L terminals. how did this work just fine before i defrosted the evaporator.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK unplug the ice maker and measure the voltage across the white wire and the black wire in the connector. If your meter indicates 0V, check the door switch for continuity. Just because the light turns on doesn't mean the switch is good. The door switch is actually two switches. You should have continuity between COM and NO when the button is pressed in.
L-door switch.jpg

Danny G I

Premium Member
Rick,
followed your instructions. door switch is good. power to ice maker is good. no power to the front of ice maker. i ordered the 8 in harness that runs along the back of the ice maker. there is no voltage through the black wire. is that a resistor or a thermal fuse? should get it on monday. hopeful that will solve the problem. i ran the dianostics mode test and the results a very confusing. here are the results.
Table 1
Step# Display Information

LED1 LED2 LED3 LED4 LED5

1 0 - - - - 0 indicates LED is lit

2 - - - - -
3 0 0 - - - - indicates LED is off
4 - - - - -
5 0 0 0 - -
6 - - - - -
7 0 0 0 0 -
8 - - - - -
9 0 - 0 - 0
10 - - - - -
11 0 0 0 - 0
12 - - - - -
13 0 0 - - 0

For table 2 i get no results

Danny G I

Premium Member
replaced the harness for the ice maker. it made a full cycle but no water entered the tray. now the heater stays on and the freezer compartment is 50 degrees. im going to replace the ice maker.. yes or no

rickgburton

Staff member

Danny G I

Premium Member
well i did manage to get an ice maker. installed and it works. however after two days i am back to square one. frost on the back panel that is probably covering the evaporator again. when i run the diagnostic test it shows the damper door and mullion heater are bad. can you help me out. seems like i am starting all over again.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, I think you had two problems, a defrost problem and the ice maker problem. The ice maker issue is solved but you still have a defrost problem. On the main board, disconnect the P1 and P2 connectors and use your meter in the connector to check for continuity between P2-7 (brn) to P1-2 (wht). If your meter reads open, check the defrost heater for continuity.