• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KFGG500ESS2 broiler ignites then turns off but range and burners work fine and there's a twist

hgminnesota

Premium Member
Model Number
KFGG500ESS2
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi Guys,

I have read the posts regarding the KSS807 and KSS907 Kitchenaid ranges but am not sure if they apply.

The title says it all. The range bakes and the top burners are fine but the broiler turns off a minute or less after it ignites. (It has happened intermittently). I waited 5 minutes. Same result. Often it takes a number of attempts before the broiler will stay lit but most often now we just don't keep trying.

Here's the twist:

I tried something for no reason other than an experiment. Started the oven on bake, turned if off after it had preheated to 215 and started the broiler 30 seconds after. Worked fine. Stayed on until I turned it off. Waited 10 minutes, turned on the broiler, worked fine. Turned it off. Waited 20 minutes. Turned it on. Works fine.

Thoughts?

hgminnesota

Premium Member
I forgot to mention that when I start the broiler "cold" i can see the flame on both sides of the heat spreader but don't see the igniter glow. it's 20 seconds or so after initial ignition that it turns off and I can smell gas. When I tried the broiler after preheating the oven and it worked fine I could see the igniter glowing. Don't know if that was coincidence or not. Will attempt to repeat the oven preheat/broiler experiment success and report back.

hgminnesota

Premium Member
Repeated experiment by preheating oven. Turned off bake function. Waited a few seconds and started broiler. Flame AND glowing igniter and broiler worked as expected. So if I start the broiler "cold" the flame will start but igniter doesn't glow and broiler turns off after 20 seconds or so. If I preheat the oven on bake, turn off bake, and start broiler it ignites, flame is as expected, and igniter glows.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is a very unusual problem that I've never seen before.

Its best to contact KitchenAid to come out at 800-422-1230, then the KA tech can call the FACTORY HOTLINE from your house to investigate this problem, if the KA tech has not seen it before either.

Jake

hgminnesota

Premium Member
Jake, if the procedure I described (start bake, preheat, turn off, start broiler and it works) cant be replicated on a regular basis and as after starting the broiler cold there is a gas smell after the broiler flames out would you think it might be a defective igniter? What do you think the most likely cause is? Thank you for your time Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I really don't know, and I don't want to speculate.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.