• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KFIS20XVMS11 Kitchen Aid Fridge makes a humming noise and clicking noise

jjbitaxi@gmail.

Premium Member
Model Number
KFIS20XVMS11
Brand
KitchenAid
I have had this Kitchen Aid fridge since 2014. It recently started making a humming noise and loud clicking noise. Everything defrosted and the interior was warm. I unplugged the fridge and cleaned the fridge and call a technician. When he came out he plugged it in and did diagnostic testing and all the readings were normal and the fridge was working normally. I put a container of water in the freezer and in the fridge. Overnight the water froze and fridge was cold. Just over 24 hours later the Refidgerator started making the noise again and this time I recorded the noise it was making. What could be causing this?

Attachments

• video-ef985b29-7445-4a08-b01a-e5e9cd827547-1662280377.mp4
    1.8 MB

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
When he came out he plugged it in and did diagnostic testing and all the readings were normal and the fridge was working normally.

It's hard to find a problem when it isn't occurring when you're there.

Just over 24 hours later the Refidgerator started making the noise again

I don't hear any clicking. The sound I do hear is likely coming from the compressor. I don't know what could cause it to make that sound other than an internal compressor problem in which case it likely need to be replaced.

BTW. The sealed system components (including the compressor) are warranted for 10 years on that model. Of course, the sound has to be occurring when the tech is there to diagnose it. I don't know if they'd accept the video as evidence.

JMO

Dan O.

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
With a TSD type relay (which is what you have )usually both run & start winding is powered but start never drops out of the circuit so it opens the overload from the to high of amp draw but the compressor is actually running for that 10-15 seconds each time it tries to starts.Good chance it is the compressor relay. Could be compressor though.Worth a shot to buy the part and Transfer the old capacitor over to the new relay as that would not matter anyways! Because I hear the compressor click on and run awhile and click off on the compressor overload built in the relay! This is your part number for the relay!

jjbitaxi@gmail.

Premium Member
With a TSD type relay (which is what you have )usually both run & start winding is powered but start never drops out of the circuit so it opens the overload from the to high of amp draw but the compressor is actually running for that 10-15 seconds each time it tries to starts.Good chance it is the compressor relay. Could be compressor though.Worth a shot to buy the part and Transfer the old capacitor over to the new relay as that would not matter anyways! Because I hear the compressor click on and run awhile and click off on the compressor overload built in the relay! This is your part number for the relay!
Thank you for your input. I have a technician coming tomorrow to hopefully repair the fridge. I will let you know if it is indeed the compressor relay. I am hopeful I will have a working fridge soon.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.