Premium Member
Model Number
KFIS20XVMS5
Brand
KitchenAid
Problems:

-Fridge too cold, ~28-30*F
-Freezes contents of fridge, ESPECIALLY when ice maker is on
-LCD display is blank, but has power (buttons work)

I have installed a new OEM mainboard with no changes noticed yet.

Is this a damper issue?

Does anyone have a similar fridge with the same display that can tell me what buttons to press in order to turn the temp UP?

My display is the same as this - https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18938&d=1410402926

360Tundra

Premium Member
Does anyone have the same display and could tell me how to adjust the temp setting warmer? maybe some pictures of it?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The two small squares on the left side of the display are Freezer-temp UP and temp down and on the right side of the display Ref temp up and down. The part you need is the dispenser update kit. Unfortunately it's been discontinued and no longer available. Without the display working you can't get into service mode and run the diagnostics. I marked the temperature pads for you:
https://click.linksynergy.com/deeplink?id=YO6223WzStY&mid=13810&murl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.appliancepartspros.com%2Fwhirlpool-cntrl-elec-w10740220-ap5957812.html
KFIS20.jpg

360Tundra

Premium Member
OK thanks that helps a lot

Forgot to mention---

I was able to program the new main board by using the instructions i found online blindly and it seems to have accepted the program code, but maybe i will just return the main board as i dont think it was the problem to begin with.

Any chance this could be a damper issue?

rickgburton

Staff member
There's a chance it could be just about anything, damper, thermistor, controls. I don't think it was the main board either.

360Tundra

Premium Member
I pressed the UP Fridge temp button a handful of times and the temp is about 30* when ice maker is off and 25* when ice maker is on....so no change (waited 24+ hours after adjusting)

Do i need to press any other button after the UP temp button?

What do you think is wrong?

rickgburton

Staff member
If the ice maker is not connected to water, the ice maker must be shut off as it may cause food in the refrigerator compartment to freeze. In certain conditions, air leakage from the ice maker compartment may cause foods in the refrigerator section to freeze. The display is not working so there's probably something else on the display board that's causing the problem. Try disconnecting and then reconnecting the wire connectors.