• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KFIS25XVWH1 Bad Control Board?

HammerAndTongs

Premium Member
Model Number
KFIS25XVWH1
Brand
KitchenAid
I bought this unit second-hand some years ago (KitchenAid French Door refrigerator, model no. KFIS25XVWH1, s/n KY4241090). This morning my wife asked "no ice?" So, no lights on the display. I pushed the ice button and saw a strange checkerboard pattern on the display and all the LEDs lit up (see attached photo).

Left it unplugged for a good 15-20 minutes. Nothing happens when I plug it back in (no compressor noise). The display still shows the same pattern. The only sign of life it that the interior lights illuminate when the door is opened. The coolth in the fridge and freezer seems residual--none of the usual creaking noises of the compressor kicking in, but it's been less than a day and our kitchen is not warm.

So having read through many pages of posts related to "control board" on this forum, I am concluding that mine needs to be replaced. I believe that will be part no. WPW10310240. I am assuming that the control board is responsible for the display problem on account of the compressor not seeming to work. Or is there a separate board in the door that could cause the display and the buttons not to work?

Any thoughts or suggestion before I order a new control board? I do have a volt-ohm meter and am pretty confident I can make whatever readings might be helpful without causing more damage.

Thanks.
AP DeVonn

Attachments

• KFIS25XVWH1_Display2.jpg
    KFIS25XVWH1_Display2.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 241

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
On the main board locate connector J1. Measure the voltage across J1-4 and J1-8 (120 VAC).

Locate connector J6. Measure the voltage across J6-1 and J6-2 (12 VDC).
WPW10310240 High Voltage Control Board
whirlpool-board-hv-control-wpw10310240-ap6019229_01_m.jpg

HammerAndTongs

Premium Member
Okay, J1 reads 108 v ac. J6 reads 12.2 v dc.

Contrary to what I thought, the compressor is running. Fridge is holding at around 50F.

Whirlpool after-warranty parts suggests "W10740220 Refrigerator Dispenser Display Assembly" that is no longer available.

QUESTION:

1) So without the display working, I can never change the temperature settings?

2) Is there anywhere I can get the display adapter repaired? Where? (Or anyplace that might have one in stock?)

3) As per another thread, this appliance has a ten-year lifespan due to planned obsolescence? (Okay, a gripe, not a question.)

Thanks.

HammerAndTongs

Premium Member
Two other things:

1) The front buttons aren't doing anything anymore, but the light over the water dispenser is sometimes on, usually off.

2) This unit has been plugged into a GFI outlet--just about to run an extension cord from a plain outlet ...

rickgburton

Staff member
The 108 VAC is a little low (check the voltage at the outlet) but the 12.2 VDC is correct for the dispenser board output. On the dispenser board, measure the voltage across J1-1 and J1-3 (12 VDC). If the voltage is not correct, check the wires and connectors between the main board and the dispenser board. If the voltage is correct, the dispenser board is bad. The dispenser board has been discontinued. I don't know of anyone that repairs them, sorry.

HammerAndTongs

Premium Member
First of all, thanks for your help.

The voltage across J1-1 and J1-3 in the front is 12.6 v dc.

Is this correct:

1) The board in front is the "Display Assembly" or "Low Voltage Control Board"
--gets its power from the board in the back
--provides the only way to program and control the rest of the refrigerator
--is the "brain" of the refrigerator

2) The board in the back is the "Main Control Board" or "High Voltage Control Board"
--provides electricity to the rest of the refrigerator at the correct voltage

In that case, if the main board is flakey, the LV control board wouldn't work correctly?

Right now the lights and LEDs in the front are just doing all sorts of crazy stuff. Sometimes the light's on, sometimes it's off. Sometimes all the LED's were on, sometimes a certain pair is lit. Sometimes pushing any button made the display show this checkerboard pattern, now pressing any button makes a beep.

Earlier, there was a faint solenoid type clicking from the back that was causing the dispenser light to dim. I noticed the inside temperature was a few degrees warmer. Now it's back down.

Any next steps I should try? I was thinking to measure these voltages throughout the course of the day to see if there is fluctuation. If there is, then maybe the main board is bad. In that case, how would I know if the LV board is still good?

How much is too much to invest in this thing in light of the parts situation? A new fridge is expensive. We've been pretty happy with this one. (Up until a couple days ago.)

rickgburton

Staff member
If you have 12 VDC at the dispenser board and the dispenser board is not working correctly, bad dispenser board. Did you recheck supply voltage at the outlet?

HammerAndTongs

Premium Member
Voltages are all good: 119v ac at main board and 12.5v dc at main & dispenser boards. (I was hasty taking the first ac reading.)

Time to start visiting the used appliance dealers.