• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KFIS27CXMS2 Kitchenaid French door ice sometimes slow. sometimes does not make a cube for days

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecszone

Premium Member
Model Number
KFIS27CXM
Brand
KitchenAid
KFIS27CXMS2

This Fridge has made ice terribly since new. It seems to be worse now.
sometimes it seems to make no ice over 24 hours. (more and more frequently)
every-time i have ever checked there is frozen cubes in the maker. so the water valves and all seem to be working.
I occasionally hear ice being made semi regularly. but that is not the norm. It just turned 5 years old. I really should have called while under warranty but never wanted to deal with it.

This fridge was expensive. It blows my mind it makes less ice than a 300.00 refrigerator. but whatever.

I talked to someone recently that seems to think there might be a kit because this model had so many issues? Or maybe its a common issue and a documented fix?

I dont want to buy the parts to repair it just to have the same issue. ANy thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

There should be a tech data sheet located behind the front bottom kickplate grille or underneath the upper right side door hinge cover, it will have a self-diagnostics test that will run through and check all the components including the ice maker and ice maker sensor boards.

Let us know what you find.

If you can locate it, I'll post it here: Dropbox - Service Flash KFIS27 KFIL27 French Door Tech Update.pdf

Starts on page 21.

Jake

ecszone

Premium Member
Wow amazing. I did not know that "tech mode" existed. I will try it tonight. Thank you so much.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, Let us know what happens.

Jake

ecszone

Premium Member
Ok, sounds good, Let us know what happens.

Jake

so when it got to ice bin level step in Diag. mode and it said "bin missing or full" it was not missing and was nearly empty (per normal)

After flippping the switch a few times and giving the sensor a good tap, i started unscrewing the sensor to see if i could bypass it. Unfortunatly diag. mode reset because 20 min passed.
I looked at the sensors, nothing obvious wrong.

I went back into the diag mode.

After screwing them back in place i checked again, and it said all is good.

its been making ice since.

Since new, I get ice sometimes. its not unheard of to hear it twice in a day. So the problem is intermittent. Which makes me wonder, could a wiring harness be bad somewhere. Ie. where ever the wiring gets into the door maybe? is that a thing?

Usually circuitry works or it does not from my experience. I have power cycled the fridge in the past to see if it helps, and it did not make ice still. Which also tells me probably not circuitry?

but who knows. I don't know what is common with refrigerators. Any suggestions?

oh when i had the ice maker accessable, i pushed that black button. it seems to make the fingers spin.it never filled, but that might be normal for the function of the button. i did notice at one point the metal plate felt warm. So thats good too.

Historicly the problem is not making ice. Everytime i stick my hand in there, there is ice. Its just not ejecting it and makeing more.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

That makes me think the ice bin sensor is the problem. Did you remove the electrical connector from that sensor and made sure the little metal contact pins were in place properly and tight?

Is this the ice bin sensor you removed below?

Emitter Control Board W10870822

Jake

ecszone

Premium Member
Ill pull it apart again tonight. I did not disconnect the cables. I think the right side of the bin had 2 connectors. The left side had 1 connector i think.
I assume the right side is the emitter and the left side is the receiver. It stopped again. I checked the diag mode again and it thought the bin was removed or full. Its consistent. I'm really glad i did not just buy a new ice maker now.
When i pull it apart ill snap some pictures.

Thanks for your help.

ecszone

Premium Member
Here are my boards. the bigger one is on the left. not right. i thought it had 2 cables, one was simply for the light. Does this tell you anything?

20160804_190238.jpg20160804_190303.jpg

ecszone

Premium Member
Ok,

That makes me think the ice bin sensor is the problem. Did you remove the electrical connector from that sensor and made sure the little metal contact pins were in place properly and tight?

Jake

I did remove it now. Connector looked ok. see pics in last post.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

ecszone

Premium Member
I replaced this. no luck :(

ordering the more expensive board now.

IF i have the bin out and hold the switch for the bin, should i see a beam or is it IR or something i cant see?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can't see the beam.

Yes, order both boards.:)

Jake

ecszone

Premium Member
Still don't work

Wow how discouraging. Replaced 2nd card and stl don't work :'(
What else could it be. Is there a way to bypass the level sensor entirely?

ecszone

Premium Member
ok,
So after crying in the corner... i decided to power cycle the refrigerator. I flipped the breaker off for about 4 minutes and then back on.
It has been making ice ever since. The ice maker was almost full this AM. so it filled about halfway in 12 hours. I feel like doing this sometimes did cause ice to work for a short time. SO i am not convinced its fixed.

Maybe the bad board put it in some state where it was not actually re testing the circuit? or maybe the circuit is initialized during power on, and not properly if hot swapped? Ill report back if its still working in a few days.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd, so you mean by you unplugging the refrigerator for 4 or 5 minutes then plugging it back in it would start making ice, like its doing now? For how long?

Let's see how long it continues to make ice now with both new optics board installed, if it goes back to not making ice, it sounds like a glitch in the main control board.

Here's the main control board for your model:
WPW10267646 Control, Elec

Jake

ecszone

Premium Member
Ok thanks. Its still going! Its making a bin a day i think. Maybe more. I'm actually offloading the ice into bags to see if it keeps working. Its pretty exciting to have ice.
Im going to let this ride for a week or so.
it surly is working longer than it ever has with these new boards.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Great! That's good news!

Let us know in a few days how its going!

Jake

ecszone

Premium Member
Still going great. I guess its fixed. Thanks for your help. I made a donation. This site is fantastic.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, I am sure glad to hear that was the problem, was just the optic boards and not the main board.:)

Thanks!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.