• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KFIS27CXMS3 ice being made intermittently

Dave David

Premium Member
Model Number
KFIS27CXMS3
Brand
KitchenAid
Three months ago the fridge stopped making ice. Also saw water leaking at the bottom front of the ice maker. I shut off the ice maker for a few weeks, then turned it back on. It didn't make ice, but did drip water so I again shut it off.

Found this post (https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/forums/kitchenaid.60/) and took the front fascia off. Could see some ice near the door, but the tray was empty. Used the service diagnostics mode. Got to step 18 and when it ran the fill test, I had water dripping out. Removed the ice maker and found there was some ice in the filler funnel. Melted it with a hair dryer, re-ran step 18 and it appeared to work fine with the ejector arm rotating fully and then filling the tray. Put it back together and it made 4-5 batches of ice yesterday.

When I checked today it hadn't made as much ice overnight as I expected. Took the fascia off and found that the ejector fingers were frozen in the top of the cubes. Removed the ice maker and the water level is pretty well touching the rod of the ejector.

IMG_20191124_2220444.jpg

You can see that the level is high enough that it's entering the bottom of the filler funnel and freezing, which I guess is what happened before and why I had leakage.

IMG_20191124_2220216.jpg

Wondering if maybe my water pressure is too high and it's overfilling it? This has been running fine for the better part of 8 years and I'm not aware of a change in my water pressure. Reading a lot about low water pressure being a common problem with ice makers too. Not sure how to test for a pressure problem. Pressure from the water dispenser is fine and same as always.

For now I'm letting the ice maker thaw out on my counter and I'll put it back in and re-run the diagnostic test for filling. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Lewis R

Premium Member
Hey Dave, from what you're describing, it sounds like the water valve is sending to much water into the I/M and overfilling the mold, causing a jamming condition, thus no Ice production. It should fill for approximately 7 to 8 seconds, so check that when you test run it.
If it asks for water fill longer than 8 seconds, then the I/M is likely at fault, but if the time call for water fill is correct, then the water valve needs to be changed.
Most of the I/M problems I've seen that cause an over fill, have been 7 to 10 years old, and have a carbon arc buildup on the buss plate, on underside of the main drive gear, causing a 28 second fill time.
Yours is most likely a water valve problem. Good luck.

Lewis

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I'm seen this problem many times on my local service calls, it's not the water inlet valve, it's the ice maker itself that has gone bad.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order here:
WPW10122559 Icemaker

For others following your thread with this same ice maker, Watch this video to remove/replace the ice maker:

Jake

Dave David

Premium Member
I turned down the tap feeding the fridge to about 25%, greatly reducing the flow. This caused the fill time to increase, so it seems as though the fridge does a measured amount rather than a set time?? The decreased flow still filled the tray up the same amount as before and unfortunately the problem persisted. I appreciate your taking the time to reply!

Dave David

Premium Member
Indeed the ice maker seems to have a mind of it's own, rotating the ejector whenever it pleases. I'll have to go this route and replace it as you've suggested. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

Lewis R

Premium Member
The I/M has a timed fill, not a measured amount by volume. Also the water valve has a flow washer that regulates the maximum amount of water that can pass through it from approximately 25psi up to 60psi or so. As you shut down the stop valve, to 25% left on, that probably didn't change anything to reduce the amount of water being released by the valve, as the valve is severely restricting the amount of water being released by default. Since there was ice in the fill cup, that may indicate the valve is leaking, or dripping after shutdown has occurred, and as you know, no water should pass when valve is off. If the I/M was calling for a longer than 8 seconds of fill time, that would be a problem with I/M, Although all of the long fill I/Ms that I have seen have the carbon bridge problem, causing a 28 second fill. If it does that, you would know it, as the Ice bucket would be full of water or solid Ice. I'm fairly certain the water valve will need to be changed.
Good luck,
Lewis

Dave David

Premium Member
Thanks @Lewis R . Here's what I saw after decreasing the flow to the fridge, removing the I/M and completely thawing and drying it and then returning it to the fridge.

- upon reinstall, the ejector arm started spinning continuously, only stopping when I went into diagnostic mode
- while it was spinning, I could smell a slight burning and when I reached my hand in, the tray felt warm/hot to the touch
- entering diagnostics mode stopped the rotating and the smell went away and the tray cooled down
- I ran the I/M fill test and the ejector arm turned around and stopped in what looked like the correct spot
- the water filled and seemed to take longer than previously and I could see the ejector arm touching the water at a couple of spots
- batch of ice was made successfully, but when I opened the flap the strip of ice was sitting just short of falling out as it should; I had to remove it by hand; seemed the ejector arm hadn't rotated fully
- 2-3 of the next batches were the same, with the ice sitting just short of exiting the I/M and had to be removed by hand
- the next batch is still sitting in there and hasn't ejected

Unfortunately it sounds like you may both be right since it seems to be overfilling the tray and rotating incorrectly.

Lewis R

Premium Member
If I/M rotated more than once without filling, it could be waiting for harvest thermostat to open, as it will not fill with water until this occurs. If your smelling an odor like burning electrical components, it may have a burned connection at heater contact from the module. If so, replace the I/M and if it still overfills, then change out the water valve as well.
You can take the drive module off and look for burned connection at heater terminals. I have seen quite a few of these late model Whirlpool I/M that have had this problem. This can cause a lack of proper heat to the mold to extract frozen cubes and cause the I/M not to be able to rotate through its cycle as it should.

Lewis

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Dave, glad to hear the new ice maker fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Dave David

Premium Member
One thing, ice is being produced consistently now with the new ice maker, but it looks like the tray is filling more than it should. I could attach a picture of the cubes, but basically what I'm seeing is an impression of the rod in the tops of them and sometimes extra ice where it looks some had attached to each other. What could cause this?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Take a photo or two, I need to see.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I see.

You should have a fill adjustment screw on the side of the ice maker module, look at the photo below, its the small plastic screw on the right side middle of your ice maker module.

Turning the set screw clockwise decreases the water fill. 1/2 turn = approx 20cc of water. No more than one full turn in either direction or damage to the module could occur.

icemakerfillscrew.jpg

Jake

Dave David

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. Tried a half turn clockwise with no change in cube size. I've noticed the sound when it's doing a fill has gotten louder in the past week. It's almost a high-pitched wine now. Bottom line is it's still giving me ice for the time being which is keeping the wife happy!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Dave, sounds good.

Yes, that is strange the fill adjustment screw clockwise decrease 1/2 turn didn't lower the water level in the ice maker, you may want to try another 1/4 of a turn clockwise.:)

Jake

Dave David

Premium Member
This ice maker is going to be the death of me! With the new ice maker, it started producing ice intermittently again this week and stopped today. Opened it up to find it jammed with ice everywhere.

IMG_20200727_1301368.jpg

Now thinking I should take @Lewis R's advice and replace the fill valve. Any chance you would know the part number and have information on how to replace? Thanks in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member