• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KFIS29BBMS00 Water leak around filter housing

roffman

Premium Member
Model Number
KFIS29BBMS00
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi, I traced a leak in our Kitchenaid french door unit to around the filter housing area. It was dripping around some slits in the panel around the housing. I haven't had a filter installed for about 6 months as I used up 2 filters rather quickly. I thought to investigate the housing and the related connections, but how to remove the panel is not clear. So far I have removed a couple of screws behind the filter door near the latch, but it's still solidly attached. I'm guessing that I grab some where and pull, but don't want to damage the panel of course. Any suggestions please? Thanks, Jim

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

roffman

Premium Member
Thanks for the video. Unfortunately, I don't have that fascia shown for the Whirlpool. Mine has a panel with the LED lenses and filter door, that angles up and terminates at the main fridge trim and is independent from the ice maker (see pic and the ice maker fascia has been removed). JimIMG_20150818_211129.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
Oops, my bad. Sorry, I thought it was the other style. I'm going to blame it on a long day...lol OK here's what you're looking for:
WRF990 WRF795 KFIS29 MFT29 Component Access 1.jpgWRF990 WRF795 KFIS29 MFT29 Component Access 2.jpgWRF990 WRF795 KFIS29 MFT29 Component Access 3.jpgWRF990 WRF795 KFIS29 MFT29 Component Access 4.jpgWRF990 WRF795 KFIS29 MFT29 Component Access 5.jpg

roffman

Premium Member
Thanks for the pictorial instructions, finally got around to it and worked perfectly! The leak I discovered is at the connection from the filter housing (out) to the reservoir fill tube fitting see pic). It was squirting out toward the back of the fridge. I disconnected the hose and it appears to look okay so wondering if it's the housing. Are these known to have problems? Normal usage etc yet failed after 2 years...Also, is there any risk to the ice maker or the system in general if I don't have water hooked up for an extended period of time? Looks like there is ice building up at the back of the icemaker for example IMG_20150901_205432.jpg

Thanks again! Jim

roffman

Premium Member
I guess I need to reassemble as the reservoir filled and subsequently when the ice maker cycled, squirted water back out he hose (and all over the interior of the fridge....:-(

Anyway, in addition to the questions in the last entry, is there a way to remove and replace the fitting in the housing rather than spend $$ on a replacement housing?

Thanks, Jim

roffman

Premium Member
Another thought is can I just disconnect the housing all together and install a jumper between the inlet and outlet. If so, can I purchase stock fittings or do I still need OEM parts. I haven't used a filter for a while since our tap water is good and filters don't last long and are pricey. Thanks

roffman

Premium Member
Thanks for the order info. I figured that part out, is the housing the weak link and why would it fail so suddenly and early?

rickgburton

Staff member
Whenever I need to replace a housing it's usually from mineral deposits or hard water buildup that causes it to leak. Sometimes just cutting the end of the water line off and reinserting it works.

roffman

Premium Member
Thanks, but the line has an ell fitting on it can I cut .25 and re-insert or were you thinking straight tubing?

roffman

Premium Member
sorry, that was not really clear. The housing has a john guest fitting (?) so I am thinking that is the problem. The tube has an ELL swaged (or similar) on the end of the tube. I was wondering if I should trim the end of the ELL or cut off, or assume the female fitting part is at fault and just omit the filter housing. It's certainly cheap enough to try that first

rickgburton

Staff member
Cut an inch off the water line going into the water filter housing. Do the same to the water line out of the housing. Use a coupler to bypass the housing.

roffman

Premium Member
That's what I was planning on doing, just cutting off the elbows (shown in my recent pic) and then coupling the 2 lines. I assume they are 1/4" ? Thanks a bunch for your help Rick, especially saving me from destroying the cover by pulling on the wrong corner!! Jim R

roffman

Premium Member
If you look at the last pic I sent, it shows the housing female fitting and an ell attached to tubing. I don't know how it is attached to the tube, but I thought of cutting it and the same fitting on the inlet line off and coupling them together. I suppose I could just try coupling them together as is too

roffman

Premium Member
worked great, thanks for the help. I know what to order if I ever feel the need to add a filter again. Now onto the oily deposit on the ground under my freezer.....posted on a new thread. Jim R