• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KFIS29BBMS00 Water leak around filter housing

Roc8seven

Premium Member
I'm having he same issue as Roffman, I really appreciate the pictorial about cover removal rickgburton! It seems as though the actual tube has a hole on mine rather than something wrong with the filter housing. I have searched and searched but cannot find a part number for the two piece water reservoir, and it doesn't seem like the two are supposed to be disconnected from each other.

Roc8seven

Premium Member
Looks like this, maybe I just need to remove the whole assembly from the fridge, with it in place it looks like the tubes that are connecting the two reservoirs are molded together, no way to disconnect. Not sure if the part in the very back is a reservoir, but seems like it is. I went ahead and ordered a filter housing to eliminate that possibility. There was a ton of ice underneath the bottom drawer, looks like its been spraying the back wall for a long time

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
They are called "John Guest" fittings. Look at the connection in that picture. Push the gray collar "in" then pull the water line "out". When you reinstall the water line, push it in as far as it will go then pull it out on the water line. I've never seen a John Guest connection leak yet

Roc8seven

Premium Member
I should've pulled the whole assembly before I ordered the filter housing. The filter housing doesn't appear to be leaking, it's most definitely the water outlet line from the filter housing/inlet line to the reservoir. I just don't see how these two reservoirs can come apart, or if this is a different model number fridge. Its a shame I cannot just put some sort of RTV or epoxy on the crack, at least for a temporary fix. Here's the pictures of what I'm working with.

IMG_20160725_131500.jpg IMG_20160725_131243147.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member

Roc8seven

Premium Member
Appreciate it, apparently the one piece reservoir is a new(ish?) part number that replaced the one that had the two reservoirs. Found a reservoir locally and it seems to have fixed it, too bad there's not as much cold water as before, but it beats having leaks.... The water inlet line actually had two cracks

Chart09

Premium Member
Cut an inch off the water line going into the water filter housing. Do the same to the water line out of the housing. Use a coupler to bypass the housing.
Doing this wouldn't it keep the "replace filter" light on the on control panel in the face of the left door. I was planning on doing this I was just curious of the filter light?

auburnjill

Premium Member
I have followed Rick's directions to find the leak around the filter housing in my KFIS29BBMS00. But I can't tell if the leak is spraying out of the filter housing or the male reservoir tube. Which do you think it is, the filter housing or the reservoir tube male connector? Both looked clean when I took it all apart.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Have someone press in the water dispenser lever while you look to see where the leak is coming from.

Jake

Jdavis557

Rick,
I’ve got Whirlpool model WRF989SDAF02 with same issue, water leaks from ceiling when flow is initiated from filter to door or ice maker. Is there any way to know if it’s the reservoir or the fitting before I take the top cover off? Would like to only do this once!
Jim

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
Is there any way to know if it’s the reservoir or the fitting before I take the top cover off?
X-Ray Vision!......Lol. Sorry. Get both and return the one you don't use.

lsandld

Premium Member
Thank you so much! This is exactly our problem on our fridge. We couldn't figure out how to get the ceiling panel off to even see where the leak was. Can you tell me if the filter housing panel is all one part? We were told it was all one part and we couldn't replace just once piece. Thank you again for your helpful information.

lsandld

Premium Member
Thank you so much! This is exactly our problem on our fridge. We couldn't figure out how to get the ceiling panel off to even see where the leak was. Can you tell me if the filter housing panel is all one part? We were told it was all one part and we couldn't replace just once piece. Thank you again for your helpful information.

lsandld

Premium Member
Thank you so much! I appreciate you taking the time to find an answer.