• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KFIS29PBMS00 Not Freezing and Low Ice Production

abuffett

Premium Member
Model Number
KFIS29PBMS00
Brand
KitchenAid
I am having some issues with my freezer and ice production that I was hoping you guys could help me resolve.
Freezer doesnt seem to be freezing properly as smaller items are starting to thaw.
On the 4th of july we emptied the ice bucket and it has yet to fill all the way back up. ( It does make some ice but very slow.)
I will try to find the service diagnostic mode after work and see what it says.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Antjuan B.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Antjuan,

Look on the back wall inside the freezer section for any frost or ice build up. Make sure both fans are working. You have one in the freezer, and one in the very back next to you compressor.

Do you have a thermometer you can put in the freezer? Most grocery stores and Walmart, Target sell them, get the liquid or digital kind.

Jake

abuffett

Premium Member
Freezers temperature was about 25F with a mercury thermometer laying across the plastic parts of freezer.
It says its set to -5F from settings, have never touched it.
Both fans seem to be running but when I open door the fan is running and then stops and then starts and stops ect.
There was a little bit of ice build up show in attachment.
Lastly if you know how to enter diagnostic mode and think it would help let me know how please.

Thanks!
IMG_1652.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I see the frost on the back panel, so you will need to remove the back panel and look at the frost pattern of your evaporator coil.

Look at the diagram below to see which photo your evaporator coil looks like.

Frost Patterns.jpg

All refrigerators come with tech. data sheets that show you how to get into the diagnostics mode, the tech. data sheet should be either behind the kickplate or underneath the door hinge cover.

Jake

abuffett

Premium Member
Sorry it took so long... hoping to still figure this out.
The is a very loud buzzing coming from the fan in the middle which is rubbing against the ice buildup.
Think I will try to thaw out this part while i wait for your response.

Here are the pictures:
IMG_1703.jpg
IMG_1704.jpgIMG_1702.jpg

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I see the photos, that's caused by poor air flow through the evaporator coil.

You may be getting condensation forming on the evaporator coil and that would causing this poor air flow problem.

Check the freezer drawer gasket when you close that freezer drawer, check for any air leaks coming in, that freezer drawer gasket should have a tight seal all around the cabinet when its shut closed.

Jake

abuffett

Premium Member
I dont think the gasket is the issue because it is affecting both the freezer and the ice dispensing/storing section.

For some reason the ice will melt and drip out of the ice dispenser as well as sometimes not making ice all together.
I will take the back plate off the freeze again tomorrow and see what pattern is show but in my eyes I couldnt see the freezer gasket affecting both areas. (Could be wrong)
Any other troubleshooting steps you would recommend to help diagnose?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you locate the tech. data sheet so you can put it in diagnostics?

All refrigerators come with tech. data sheets that show you how to get into the diagnostics mode, the tech. data sheet should be either behind the kickplate or underneath the door hinge cover.

Jake

abuffett

Premium Member
Ran through all the diagnostics and is seems like the defrost heater/bimetal is open and should have been closed.
According to the bimetal defrost thermostat description it could cause the issue I am seeing.
Guess I will be replacing that unless you are aware of anything else?

Cant find the part in your signature list, just defrost heater.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Was the defrost thermostat covered in frost when you did the diagnostics? Because it has to be frosty for it to be closed.

The defrost thermostat on this model only comes with the evaporator fan motor.

Here it is below, its the black round part with the metal clip on it, at the bottom of the photo.

Freezer evaporator fan motor & harness. Includes defrost thermostat:
Evaporator Fan Motor WPW10514110

Jake