• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KFIS29PBMS02 Not making ice, deli drawer display out

KaMor

Premium Member
Model Number
KFIS29PBMS02
Brand
KitchenAid
A few weeks ago my refrigerator started leaking water out the ice dispenser on door. The refrigerator and freezer were not maintaining temperature. After looking around I found even though the lights operated when I opened the doors the electronic display on the deli drawer was out. I couldn’t pull the plug to cut off power and “reboot” the unit, so I reset the breaker on main box. Everything was operating normally up until a couple days ago. This time, problem dispensing water and ice. The deli drawer display again was out. I rebooted the fridge again via the breaker, fridge and freezer are holding set temperatures, I can dispense water at the door but, my unit is not making ice. When pushing the paddle to dispense ice, it sounds like it is working normally, but of course no ice because it is not making ice. A very small amount of frost or ice was noticed around the rubber gasket (on ceiling of interior of refrigerator) where ice drops into dispenser bucket after second “reboot”.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
On the power supply board check for a constant 14 VDC across P2-1 to P2-4, P2-2 to P2-5, and P2-3 to P2-6. On the deli board check for a constant 14 VDC across JA1-1 to JA1-4.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Since you mentioned the deli User Interface display acting up too, there is a service bulletin involved with this problem on your model. There have been some problems with the deli display U/I(user interface) control shorting out and causing these odd problems your having now.

Erratic dispenser and/or ice maker operation
Deli Control display changes
Door ajar light and/or beep won’t turn off
Erratic User Interface operation

--->What we do first to confirm if that's the problem is to disconnect that deli display U/I control board and then see if everything starts working fine again.

Pages 59 and 60 in this service book: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L0agZKw9MnwG_p_a9kCFnhvK0kqoncF5/view?usp=sharing Tells you how to access it to disconnect it.

Here it is for your model:

Let us know if that fixes all the other issues once you disconnect it. Unplug your refrigerator first before disconnecting it.

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
Power supply board is next to the main board. If all the voltage checks are correct and there's 14V at the deli board when it's off, the deli board is the problem. Thank Jake. I don't remember seeing a service flash on the deli board.

KaMor

Premium Member
Thank you very much for the above info. Just found my husband voltage meter, I will take one step at a time starting with deli drawer and post my findings.

KaMor

Premium Member
Ok, above is the boards in the deli U/I. No signs of moisture or water damage in here. The brown substance I am assuming is some kind of protectant. It is on the board but it is not coming in contact with anything on the cover or board. Am I correct in going forward with nothing to see here?

KaMor

Premium Member
When I depress the ice dispenser paddle on the door the dispenser does spin and sounds like if it had ice, she would give me some. Ice maker has not made any sounds like filling trays or dumping ice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Disconnect both connectors from it, then see if everything starts working good again.

Jake

KaMor

Premium Member
I have disconnected the deli board connector, nothing has changed. Refrigerator and freezer are still maintaining correct temperatures, can dispense water at door, but the ice maker has not cycled (adding water or dropping ice cubes). When the paddles are pressed, water dispenses and/or ice dispenser sounds as if it would dispense ice if I had some in bin.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, I think you have two separate problems. Let's forget about the ice maker for now. You said the when the deli board goes blank the dispenser does not work and the machine can't maintain the temperatures. After you reset the power the deli board works and the dispenser works and the temperatures are maintained. Is that correct? So right now everything is working (except the ice maker)? If the deli board is working there's no need to take any voltage measurements The voltage will be correct. In order to tell if the problem is the deli board or the main board you need to wait until the deli board goes out again then take the voltage measurements before you reset the power. If there's constant 14V at the deli board, the deli board is bad. If the voltage is 0V the main board is not sending the voltage to the deli board. If the main board is bad that would explain the temperature and dispenser problems. And possibly the ice maker.

KaMor

Premium Member
Yes, it is correct that after the power was reset at the breaker box the first time (a few weeks ago), everything operated normally, ice, water, lights, cooling, etc. A few days ago, when I reset at the breaker, everything returned to normal except the ice maker. Has not produced ice since that evening. I don’t know what caused the loss of cooling, and water/ice dispensing issues initially. I am understanding from your latest response that I will have to wait until the issue happens again and then take voltage measurements. So it is possible that main board could be bad, correct?

rickgburton

Staff member
rickgburton said:
I think you have two separate problems.
The ice maker is the other problem Are you telling me everything except the ice maker is working normally?

rickgburton

Staff member
R-KFIV29 (2).jpg

To enter Service Diagnostics: Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds.

Release both buttons when you hear the CHIME indicator. Unit must not be in Lockout.

The display will show 01 to indicate the control is in test 1 of the diagnostics routine.

Each test must be manually advanced.

Press SW5 to move to the next test in the sequence.

Press SW4 to back up in the sequence to the previous test

Each test is displayed in the two digits of the dispenser user interface display.

The test results are displayed in the two digits on dispenser user interface display 2 seconds after the test number is displayed.

An amber order filter light will be shown to designate that the test number is being displayed

A red replace filter light will be shown to designate that the status of the test is being displayed.

To exit Service Diagnostics Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds, disconnect the product from power or wait 20 minutes.

Following the exit of the diagnostic mode, the controls will then resume normal operation.

Run:

Service Test #56 -Ice Maker Error Codes-
Displays any active ice maker error codes.
E0- No error codes
E1- No cooling
E2- Motor lost position
E3- Heater time out
E4- Dry cycle
E5- Timed ice making

Service Test #57- Ice Maker Harvest
Press switch #3 to start a harvest cycle. Once started test can not be exited.
Digit 1 displays the state of the test: 0=Heater and Motor off, 1=IM Heater on, 2=Motor rotating CW until it finds home position
Digit 2 displays the test outcome: 0=In Progress, 1=Harvest complete, 2=Harvest not complete. Close door.