• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KGCD807XBL Gas Cooktop Bizarre Igniter Behavior - Help

Ginseng108

Premium Member
Model Number
KGCD807XBL
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi Everyone,

I come to the forum with a question that I have not thus far encountered on the internet. Here's the deal. We just recently purchased and had professionally installed a KitchenAid 4-burner downdraft natural gas cooktop model KGCD807XBL. The unit works fine except for this odd behavior.

When I plug the cord for the electric igniter and fan into the outlet under the counter where the old unit got its power as well, turn a knob and the igniter sparks and doesn't stop sparking even after a flame is lit. Same for all four switches and four burners. It's brand new and cleaned regularly, dry above and below so none of the "easy" causes are present. Now here's the weird thing.

If I plug its cord into an extension cord that runs to a receptacle on the side of the center island where the cooktop is installed, then it works exactly as expected. Sparks until lit then immediately stops.

Now, I thought the undercounter receptacle might have gotten dirty so I replaced that with a brand new unit. All the wiring looks fine. All I know for sure is that the receptacle on the side is on a GFCI circuit with the GFCI by the kitchen sink. I am not sure of the undercounter receptacle.

Presumably, this undercounter socket has always worked, but something is wacky now.

Any advice from the gallery before I spend some money on an electrician? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Wilkey

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Check the plug outlet for reverse polarity.....means make sure the hot is on the hot side and neutral is on the neutral side.

120volt-duplex-receptacle.jpg The smaller opening is the power/hot side, larger opening is the neutral side.

jeff.

Ginseng108

Premium Member
Hi Jeff,
I just checked polarity with a multimeter. It is exactly as you said, identical at both receptacles, 123-124 volts. So as far as the plug from the cooktop, what it's getting from both outlets is exactly the same. One stops, one never does. Do you think a grounding failure could cause something like this? Absolutely nothing has changed in 7 years and no water spillage or infiltration.
Wilkey