• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KGRS505XSS01 KitchenAid Double Oven Gas Range; Neither broil or bake burners light on upper oven, but both their ignitors glow orange

Gary_C

Premium Member
Model Number
KGRS505XSS01
Brand
KitchenAid
I'm trying to help a neighbor her oven. The larger, lower oven works fine, but in the upper oven, which she uses 90% of the time, neither the bake or broil burners will gas-up/turn-on. I don't smell any gas at any time, but both ignitors glow orange/hot when turned on. I could not move the oven to try to find a tech or service sheet. But I found the assembly drawings online, and see there's a "Valve/Regulator" (PN W10293834) that controls gas flow to BOTH those burners. That part is circled in the attached drawing and I also included a picture of the replacement part found online. But all indications from online searches say the valve/regulator (also called safety valve maybe?) almost never fails, and they suggest the problem is much more likely to be the ignitors--even though they appear to be fully heating up. Seems unlikely to me that both ignitors would be failing.

I haven't found an electrical drawing yet, so I don't understand exactly how that works. I'm assuming the control board switches a relay to turn on the ignitors. Maybe the heat from the ignitor is supposed to somehow trigger this safety valve to open? I think there would be separate electrical controls for both those ignitors. Also, since that part is very expensive ($200-$400 depending on source), I don't want to guess and find out that's not the problem.

I found this youtube clip online that seems to be directly related to the issue:
Does this seem like the best next steps? To do all that I'd have to move the oven away from the wall--assuming there's enough gas line to even allow that. So i was wondering if there's a way to run "diagnostics" from the control panel, like in many newer appliances, so I can be more confident, before trying to help her move this beast of an appliance? If diagnostics mode exists, how do I initiate it, and would I expect it to catch or ID this type of fault? Even though the lower oven works, she's hosting her family for Thanksgiving dinner, and is nervous about not having this fixed by then.

Thanks a lot for your time and any suggestions.

Added complete model number

Attachments

• 2022-10-30 20.27646.jpg
    2022-10-30 20.27646.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 2022-10-30 20.26646.jpg
    2022-10-30 20.26646.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Gary,

KGRS505X is just a partial model number, we would need the complete model number first.

Click here: Appliance Parts

Then you will see a link that says: How to find a model number.

The manufacturer has replaced part number W10293834 with part number WPW10518493.

Jake

Gary_C

Premium Member
Hi Jake, The complete model is KGRS505XSS01 (I think the suffix just implies stainless steel finish?) Also, thanks for the update on that PN. Regarding the youtube video I referenced in my original note, I'm a little suspect of the idea that an ignitor drawing 2.8 Amps is good, but anything less is bad. Since the video is not specific to a unit model, that seems a bit vague--even if most ranges use a similar design.

Also, it looks like I could clip an ammeter near ignitor, inside oven, instead of behind it, and just be sure it doesn't get melted by heat. Concerns with that? And finally, I'm still most interested in how to run "diagnostics" (if an option for this model) before moving the whole unit for further troubleshooting. The unit looks larger and heavier than any residential appliance I've ever seen. Thanks again, in advance.

paulhl

Appliance Tech
Staff member
It amazes me that those looking for help question the experts on this site. Can't make it up

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks!

I'm attaching your data sheet below, Page 2 is diagnostics.

Enter into the diagnostics and check for any fault codes.

Here's the safety valve assembly for your model:
WPW10518493 Valve-Gas

You can ohm test it, make sure you disconnect power to the range first!

Attachments

• techsheet-w10311752-reva.pdf
    889.7 KB · Views: 25

Gary_C

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake! That's great info and will be really helpful. I won't be able to look at this until early next week but will report back details as soon as I do.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that's fine.:)

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
KGRS505XSS01 (I think the suffix just implies stainless steel finish?)

Everything in the model number means something. In this particular case the SS refers to the colour. The 01 is the version number which indicates changes (parts and possibly functioning) to the base model. If you have the complete information, supply it. If you don't have the complete information, you need to get it. It IS important.

If you want accurate assistance you need to provide complete and accurate information.

JMO

Dan O.

Gary_C

Premium Member
Checked it out today. Had to pull the wires from top broiler igniter out an inch from back wall to connect ammeter.. turned on broil mode and it fired up. No idea why it didn't before. Maybe it's nearing end of life.

Repeated same with lower, bake igniter, and ammeter kept ranging between 0.4A to about 2.6A every few seconds. Strange thing is it glowed same color orange, regardless of the changing current. Anyway it was low, plus I assume reading should be consistent and not dropping out. Replaced igniter and problem solved. Thanks very much Jake for the tech doc and helpful info!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Gary_C

Premium Member
Pretty sure it's #6 in the diagram you shared. There are 2 igniters in the UPPER oven--a broiler one at top and a bake one below. It's the bake one that had to be replaced. Unsure why broil did not ignite the 1st time I went over there. But she says she rarely uses it. So when it lit on return trip I left it be.

And I think the #13 part in your diagram is the igniter for broiler. The confusing thing to me is I don't even see a 3rd igniter in the diagram.....which is id expect is needed for the LOWER (larger) oven in the diagram at all. But luckily the lower oven works.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Gary, thanks for coming back to update us.(y)

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.