• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

KHHC2090SSS KitchenAid Microwave Error code F9-Q Touch Communication

JDFord

Premium Member
Model Number
KHHC2090SSS
Brand
KitchenAid
I have been having problems with the keypad not working, fan turning on, and random beeping. Resetting the microwave will generally get it running again, but always returns to the same issues. Finally got an error code and microwave will not reset and keyboard not working. Error code F9-Q Touch Communication. I replaced the Cntrl-Elec/keypad #WPW10116267. Now the keypad lights up and ask do I want to set the time. The keypad will not work even if I reset it, but the light and fan are working properly and the beeping has stopped. Any ideas what to try next...

Thanks John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Your missing a digit after the last "S" at the end of your model number, it should be one of these below:

KHHC2090SSS0
KHHC2090SSS1
KHHC2090SSS2
KHHC2090SSS3
KHHC2090SSS4

I'll see if Rick can assist you on this one.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Unplug microwave oven or disconnect power. Check the communications cable from UI board to the touch panel. Try disconnecting then reconnecting the cable/wire connectors several times and make sure they are tight. Reassemble all parts and panels before operating. If problem persists, replace the door control assembly.

WPW10116267 Electronic Control Board

JDFord

Premium Member
Thanks Rick for the diagnoses. I have looked and I am not able to find a part called "door control assembly". Would you please give me the part # you are referring to?

Thanks

JD

rickgburton

Staff member
Part# WPW10116267-(Part #, picture and link to APP is in my last post. Sometimes they don't show up on a mobile device. Can you not see it?)

JDFord

Premium Member
Thanks Rick, yes I see it now, did not recognize that as a "door control assembly". I have already replaced that part and that did not fix the problem. I probably was not very clear on my first post.

Thanks

JD

rickgburton

Staff member
OK so you replaced that part and it only fixed part of the problem? Was it a new part? Are you still getting the F9.Q error code?

JDFord

Premium Member
Here is the sequence:

First - keypad not working, fan turning on, random beeping, and Error code F9-Q Touch Communication
second - reset microwave, starts working for a little while then problems re-occur
third - replace part Cntrl-Elec/keypad #WPW10116267
fourth - new keypad lights up and ask do I want to set date. Keypad will not work to enter yes/no.
fifth - keep resetting microwave till keypad starts blinking, then keypad will start working. Everything starts working great.
sixth - a few minutes pass, Error code F9-Q Touch Communication.

Thanks

rickgburton

Staff member
Khhc2090

Holy smokes! Finding any service information on this model is impossible. I haven't worked on this particular model before so I went to see a friend of mine (also a service tech with just about as many years as myself) to get his opinion. We both figured we needed a schematic or at least a wire diagram. Couldn't find anything online so I called another friend, also a tech. and he had a tech sheet for a similar model. I got the tech sheet and scanned it into my computer. It's one of the worst tech sheets for troubleshooting we've ever seen ( I'll attach a copy to this post). I believe this is Whirlpool's latest attempt to keep other service companies from fixing their appliances unless Whirlpool "Authorized". This is what LG and Viking do. They make things so vague, you can't understand what they are saying. Half the time you have no idea what they are telling you to check. If you look on the tech sheet is says things like, "replace this part and if it doesn't work replace this other part". The average do-it-yourselfer does better than that. Here's what we came up with;

Under the F9 Q touch communication error it says almost exactly what I said to do. Control or control assembly has always been the same as Keypad or touchpad and assembly just means more than one part. So we checked that first (it would have been too easy for them to just say touchpad). Each parts site we checked called it something different so we used the process of elimination just to be sure. We didn't find any part labeled touchpad or Keypad. On the Sears parts site under door parts, #3 has a box around three parts making it an assembly and that's the part you replaced. We all agreed you did exactly what we would have done, not ruling out the possibility of a bad new part. Mostly because the state of the microwave changed with replacing that part. Usually the wrong part doesn't change anything and that part did.

Since that didn't fix the problem we looked at error code F9, a similar communications error code. Under step #6 it says to replace the relay board and relay control board. We then looked at F2-Q1 "not reading keypad inputs". It basically says to replace the same part as the F9-Q error, the one you replaced plus the user interface board. I eliminated the UIB because the fan turns on when the keyboard doesn't accept any inputs. The fans are all connected to the relay board. I ruled out a stuck relay since it does turn off when you eventually get it to work and a sticky relay wouldn't affect the touchpad. Since the F9 error is more similar to the F9-Q error than the F2-Q1 error is, that leads me to believe the problem is either the part you just replaced or the relay control board. I looked at all the error codes on the tech sheet and all but 3 or 4 say to replace the relay control board or replace the relay board and the relay control board.

Here's what I would do; First try to exchange the part you just replaced. There's a good possibility the one you got is faulty. We all agreed, that's the first part we would have replaced. If that still doesn't fix it, order the relay control board and the relay board from one of the links on this site. The reason being if you don't need both parts you can return the one you don't use for a full refund less shipping. Replace the relay control board first. If that doesn't work replace the relay board. And if that doesn't solve the problem you can return both parts for a full refund less shipping. Of course, I'll have to kill myself...LOL

Attachments

JDFord

Premium Member
Thanks Rick,
I am truly grateful for the response, all of it makes sense. I got home yesterday and the error was gone and keypad had the normal information on it. I am thinking hallelujah, it fixed itself!!! Not, keypad was unresponsive. Reset microwave and it starts working like a champ. 10 minutes later I hear it start beeping and, you know the rest... New part on the way, WHIRLPOOL Electronic Control Board Part #: AP4323154 I will post the ongoing saga when the part comes in.

JD

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

rickgburton

Staff member
Oops sorry JD...I blame it on JD's machine! I had such a headache Chris brought his friend Mr. Daniels. You know, Jack. 6c2ba386.x120.gif

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I remember Jack, Famous for OVERHANGS, LOL :very_drunk:

Jake

JDFord

Premium Member
Well, the microwave issue is finally over. I replaced 3 boards, (1) Part Number WPW10116267 (2) Part Number WP8206602 (3) Part Number WP8206603 in that order and I still have the "F9-Q Communication Error". I have spent $350 on repair parts and still not fixed the problem. I give up, I am starting over. Ordered new microwave for $650. It seems to me nothing is fixable anymore, are we living in a disposable society, throw it away and get another for cheaper than repairing what we have already? I really appreciate the feedback I received on this board/thread and hopefully someone will figure out the F9-Q error in the future.
Thanks
JD

rickgburton

Staff member
Unbelievable! Here's my final two cents worth. I think you and I diagnosed the problem correct the first time. Here's what I said after talking with my friends (post 10).
rickgburton said:
Here's what I would do; First try to exchange the part you just replaced. There's a good possibility the one you got is faulty.
Did you get a chance to try that? If you purchased the boards through a link on this site, you can return the boards for a full refund less shipping.

JDFord

Premium Member
Thanks Rick. All the parts are brand new from Appliance Parts Pro's, but I did not try exchanging the keypad for another. Oh well, sometimes the repairman wins, sometimes the microwave wins!!!!

Thanks
JD