• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

KHHC2090SSS KitchenAid Microwave Error code F9-Q Touch Communication

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Or as my ol grandpappy used to say, "Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you!".

Honu425

Premium Member
Rick,
I apologize for hijacking this thread, but I have the same problem on the same machine but without the error codes. I actually think I just need to dry things out as I have moisture under the glass in the door window. But....
What I came here looking for is technical instructions on how to "properly" disassemble the door so that I can dry things out with,...what...dry compressed air? Like I use in computer systems?
And an earlier response you had above is spot on: There is virtually no publicly available technical information available for this unit.

Thanks for listening

Best Regards
Jeff

rickgburton

Staff member
You can use a hair dryer or compressed air but it's a poor design when it comes to moisture. It will happen again especially if you have central AC in your home.

Honu425

Premium Member
OK, a hair dryer; I get that. Any particular thoughts on disassembly? Am I removing the front of the door? Or the back? And is it just the star screws I find around the edge of the door?

Best Regards

Jeff

rickgburton

Staff member
Jeff, I haven't worked on this model yet. I haven't even seen one. It doesn't have a door like most machines. With the control in the door you'll need to disconnect a wire harness before you remove the door. All oven doors need to come off the oven before trying to disassemble it. Careful not to loose any spacers.
W0907128-00002.jpg

cjdoyle

I have the exact problem on the exact unit as JDFord. Ours started about 2 weeks ago with random beeping, changing of the display. It would make selections on its own, often ending up at defrost but it never actually started on its own. A "Cancel" would put it back to the main display screen and it continued to work. Over the two weeks though, it got progressively worse, incessant beeping for minutes at a time. My kids think it's someone from Stranger Things trying to contact them via Morse Code.

It has progressed to turning of the lights periodically or lowering the volume of the beep. This morning I got out of the shower at 5:30am to the exhaust fan running on high. The buttons (which for the light and the fan are separate physical buttons from the touch display) for the fan did not respond so I unplugged the unit to stop the fan. When it wasn't acting up, the display works perfectly and we never had a problem heating anything. When it was acting up, some or all of the display buttons would not work.

Most times, unplug/replug would be fine. This morning though the display would flash on and off after plugging it back in, no display buttons would work, and then I eventually got the same FQ.9 error, even after unplugging to reset a few times. I am not convinced it's the display assembly, especially because the lights (and now fan) which are not controlled through the display, have been acting up accordingly. The two main problems are not wanting to throw hundreds of dollars at parts that may or may not be the cause but also that in a kitchen full of matching, Kitchenaid Architect II appliances, throwing a new microwave in will stand out like a fish out of water since They no longer make one with a matching look. I wondered if it was not the wiring itself. From the control board to the display via the hinge in the door flexing several times a day for a few years. Any thoughts?

rickgburton

Staff member
I wondered if it was not the wiring itself. From the control board to the display via the hinge in the door flexing several times a day for a few years.
That's where I would start looking. Look for a pinched wire or wire that's broken inside the wire insulation.

VPS

Well, I have the same problem. So happy to find this site. So sad to find no fixes. Has anything met with success? Can someone tell me how to get the door off?

MikeFassler

Unplug microwave oven or disconnect power. Check the communications cable from UI board to the touch panel. Try disconnecting then reconnecting the cable/wire connectors several times and make sure they are tight. Reassemble all parts and panels before operating. If problem persists, replace the door control assembly.

WPW10116267 Electronic Control Board
Do you have any instructions or videos on how to replace this part? I have the exact same problem with the same microwave model. Well, mine is KHHC2090SSS0. But I have no idea how to even get to this part in order to replace it safely. Any help/advice would be super appreciated!

rickgburton

Staff member
Start by removing the choke. Use a small screwdriver and start in corner to unsnap the choke from around the inside door. I think you can get it from there. I couldn't find any video on any of the parts sites. You might check youtube.

robhouston

Premium Member
I may be a couple of weeks late to this post, but I have the KHMS2050SSS2 microwave, which appears to have a same or very similar door to the model in this thread. If you haven't already done the repair, be sure to remove the bottom 2 screws before attempting to remove the choke, since those screws actually hold the choke in place. Otherwise, the choke will break, and it is difficult or impossible to get a replacement.

I've worked on this door on my microwave a couple of times now (I'm getting ready to do it a third time!), so if I can help with any advice, feel free to send me a message.

Good luck!