• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

KHMS2050SSS Microwave Rear Venting Through Wall

johnnytucats

Premium Member
Model Number
KHMS2050SSS
Brand
KitchenAid
I want to replace our Kitchenaid over-the-range microwave and I'm not sure about the consistency of the location of the vent hole for different brands and models. The installation manuals for a few I've looked at refer to the template that comes with the unit (like ours did) but there's never a dimensional PDF or otherwise of the template I can download to see if the existing hole would match up with a new unit.

Is the location of this hole in the wall consistent between brands?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

That's as good question, but I don't know, I will ask Rick if he knows.

Your missing the last digit of your model number, we would need that first. The model number tag should be inside the door.

Here's the results I get:
KHMS2050SSS0
KHMS2050SSS1
KHMS2050SSS2
KHMS2050SSS3
KHMS2050SSS4

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sometimes the holes match up but most of the time they don't. You have a better chance of the holes matching up with the same brand.

johnnytucats

Premium Member
I guess I'm going to have to try and get the original template from Kitchenaid support and then the template for any other unit I'm considering from their support.

There's a hole in my effin wall!

rickgburton

Staff member
Maybe I didn't understand. I've installed quite a few OTR microwaves over the years and I've never had to get templates to match up holes. Which holes are you concerned about?

johnnytucats

Premium Member
The rear vent hole location...and I don't think it's an issue now. After researching it seems that all manufacturers put two vent output holes in just about the same place on the unit.

It's a crapshoot with the bracket holes and top support bolt holes. If the existing ones affect the new ones I'll just have to work it out.

rickgburton

Staff member
...the bracket holes and top support bolt holes.
I wasn't thinking vent. My bad. The top cabinet holes are the ones that don't usually line up. Sometimes you can elongate a hole to get it to fit but most of the time I need to drill a new hole. A 1/4" wooden dowel in the old holes makes it look better when you're done. Most of the time I just leave it.

meb730

Premium Member
Microwave - Whirpool WMH32519HZ

Hi. I just purchased this microwave and I notice when I use the regular cook setting a fan turns on and blows out air, which is pretty loud from on top of the microwave. Why does the fan turn on automatically or this. I have had other over the range microwaves and a fan never turned on before. Thank you.

rickgburton

Staff member
A cooling fan turns on automatically whenever you press START on all microwaves. This keeps the high voltage components from overheating.