• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FIXED KHMS2050SSS0 Kitchenaid microwave touch panel issues; error code f9,Q

Sterling

Premium Member
Model Number
KHMS2050
Brand
KitchenAid
This is a microwave hood combo-all aspects working except touch pad. It beeps sporadically when not in use and touch pad doesn't respond. Unplug & re-plug fixes this for 1 or 2 uses, then it's back to the stated issues. Error code is f9, Q.

I have read that I should first check wiring connections but can not find how to access that or what these error quotes mean.

I have read other accounts of this exact same problem on this and other forums, but no fix.

Thank you for any assitance... and for this fantastic site!

Sterling

Sterling

Premium Member
touch pad.
-after unplug/plug the display reads "set clock yes/no"
-i can enter cook time & microwave functions normally
-w/in a few minutes the sporadic beeping resumes & display reads "error code f9, Q"
-touch pad doesn't respond & unable to start microwave

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a bad touchpad. I don't have the tech sheet for that model. Can you post a copy of yours here?

rickgburton

Staff member
Here's what it says on the tech sheet for F9Q :

1. Unplug microwave oven or disconnect power.

2. Check the communications cable from UIB to the touch panel board.

3. Replace all parts and panels before operating.

4. Plug in microwave oven or reconnect power.

5. If problem persists, unplug microwave oven or disconnect power.

6. Replace the door control assembly.

7. Replace all parts and panels before operating.

8. Plug in microwave oven or reconnect power.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Sterling

Premium Member
Jake; thanks for tracking this. the tech sheet is very helpful -

Im gonna open her up and check the wires. connecting UIB to touch panel board as it suggests.. its likely str8 forward, but i prefer to have some instructions to review - so i know what to remove & in what order - does such a thing exist?

thanks again & i will post progress & findings here.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I couldn't locate the service manual for this model that would show you how to take it apart.

I can ask our other tech. bigbuck is he does.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, thanks for trying bigbuck!

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
There's 3 screws on each side of the door. Remove those screws and the choke (inside door) will unsnap from around the door.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Rick!

Jake

Sterling

Premium Member
so, back to my original question...anyone know where/how to access this connection between UIB & Touch Panel Board?
I see on tech sheet where parts are located - but still don't know if I open/disassemble the door or the inside/outside or unit - that's all I need to know - don't want to take this whole thing apart - just want to check this connection - can't find this answer anywhere and getting fairly frustrated. BTW, Kitchenaid was zero help.

pretty please, if you know, share.

rickgburton

Staff member
......can't find this answer anywhere and getting fairly frustrated.
I hear ya! You should be glad you're not on this end....Lol. For example, In your first post you said:
Sterling said:
Unplug & re-plug fixes this for 1 or 2 uses

So I asked you, unplugging the touchpad or unplugging the microwave? You said:
touch pad. -after unplug/plug the display reads "set clock yes/no"

This is the connection I would have told you to check but you already did. The UIB (User Interface Board) and touch panel are both in the door. If you unplugged the touchpad from the UIB and it worked a few times the touchpad is bad. But now I read your last post and you're asking:
back to my original question...anyone know where/how to access this connection between UIB & Touch Panel Board?

So now I'm thinking, maybe someone made a mistake. Just to be sure, What fixes it for 1 or 2 uses, unplugging the touchpad connector or unplugging the microwave power cord? Yes, sometimes it can be very frustrating.

... but still don't know if I open/disassemble the door or the inside/outside or unit

Maybe this diagram I made will help you. Use a flat paint scraper to unsnap the choke from around the door. Start in the corner by the top door hinge. If you need to remove the door from the frame there's 3 screws on each side and 2 on the bottom. Once you can access the three control cover screws you'll be able to access the touchpad and control
KHMS2050 door.jpg

Sterling

Premium Member
Ah shoot.. it was me, I made the mistake... here's the thread snag:

-ME: 'plug/unplug fixes this for 1-2 uses
-YOU: touchpad or microwave?
-I INTERPRET: fixes touchpad or microwave?
Didn't make sense, so I replied by clarifying what happens upon unplug/plug

So, let's back up. I unplugged the microwave from power outlet. I unplugged it, waited 30-60 seconds, then plugged it back in which seemed to reset it, then I could use the microwave once or twice, then the error code pops back up and random beeping resumes.

today i attempted to disassemble the microwave door- I started with the 3-screws to the side of the handle only visible once the door is opened; the plastic they were threaded through disintegrated and fell in pieces as I unscrewed. I removed the 2 screws on the bottom of door - don't see any screws on the top of door or anywhere else on door - and it seems removing those 5 has no effect - hence my frustration.

Thank you for the incredible diagram - very thoughtful of you. I will take another crack at it tomorrow using that and your instructions as guide... thanks so much, I'll post progress.

*I am in earliest time zone which is why you won't see my replies right away

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
rickgburton said:
......and the choke (inside door) will unsnap from around the door.

rickgburton said:
Use a flat paint scraper to unsnap the choke from around the door.
It's always best to start with step one. You need to remove the choke first. I wasn't sure about the screws on the sides and bottom so for now just ignore them. One thing Whirlpool is good at is keeping the disassembly and installation of components the same across models. The KOMS1550 microwave also has the keypad and UI board in the door. I'll show you how that one comes apart and even if the parts don't look identical they will look similar. That should get you started.
Unsnap the choke from the door using a flat paint scraper.
Snapshot_2.jpg

Once the choke is off, lift up on the door latch arm and unhook the spring and set aside.
Snapshot_3.jpg

From here you'll need to check for hidden screws holding the control bracket. You'll see something similar to this:
Snapshot_6.jpg

When you get to the control board these are the two connectors you need to check. Clean the end of the ribbon connector with a clean pencil eraser and make sure it's seated all the way in the connector. Look for any pinched wires or pins backing out of the connector. Look for any discoloration on the board. Your parts will look similar to these
Snapshot_7.jpg

NOTE: Some machines are easier to service when removed from the installation and the cover removed and on some it doesn't matter. On some machines it's easier to remove the door from the machine to work on it and on others it doesn't matter. Your choice.

Last edited: