• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FIXED KHMS2050SSS0 Kitchenaid microwave touch panel issues; error code f9,Q

Sterling

Premium Member
hi guys, house guests have gone and I finally found time to crack open the KitchenAid. It was a lot more involved than I thought it would be. I basically had to take the entire door assembly apart - with all the screws out i only had a 2-inch opening through which to access the control board (1st photo)
View attachment 42694
and the 1st thing i notice is the insulation stripping all bunched up in the corner and smashed against the wire cover
View attachment 42695
I see no obvious signs of damage or corrosion to any of the board components - the ribbon & wired assembly are clean and in tight.
Now, before I put this back together, what do you think I ought to do about that insulation tape? how is it meant to be?
and, could this have been the issue??

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Upload the photos again, they didn't come through.

Jake

Sterling

Premium Member
photo re-post

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

ok, i believe i figured out how to upload photos (is it supposed to be a 3 step process?)
2-are the same picture, one has added text.

please lmk if they are viewable to you.

thanx!!
Sterling

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Looks good to me.:)

Jake

Sterling

Premium Member
Ok, thanx, i'll tuck it back in. I thought maybe it was meant to wrap around that whole lower portion of the door.. there's enough of it. I guess the next step is put it back together and see if jiggling things around has any effect.

will post results. Thanks again for the guidance.

Sterling

Premium Member
I did not. The space was too cramped. I could reach one. with one finger, enough to push it and check that it was in all the way. But, I have decided to go the last couple steps - take the door off and properly access those connections... before re-assemble. Might as well - I've come this far.

Question: won't I have to dis-engage the wiring bundle running from main unit to door - how or where do I do so??

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, I meant the photos look good to me, meaning they showed up fine this time.:)

I know nothing about fixing microwaves, LOL. Monkey Ward never taught us to fix microwaves. The TV techs fixed the microwaves at Wards.:)

Jake

Sterling

Premium Member
Photos of connectors

I reached the connectors; i'm posting photos for you to take a look b/c it all looks ok to me, but mine is the untrained eye in this area. At this point I had only disconnected the red ribbon connecting the parts. If you wouldn't mind, lmk if you see anything problematic.
Much appreciated-i'm going to eraser clean and await response.

Thanks so much for all the help thus far!
Sterling

*pics 2 and 3 go together to make one image; backside of the keypad (2=left side, 3=right side window in center only partially shown)

Attachments

Last edited:

robhouston

Premium Member
Sorry to revive this thread, but I'm having some of the same issues with the same model microwave. The keypad has a mind of its own-----it will just randomly beep and change cooking programs on its own. Fortunately, it hasn't started on its own, just changed the programs.

Here's what I've done so far:
- Replaced the actual keypad - improved the problem, but I still was getting random keypad changes​
- Replaced the control board (aka the User Interface Board) shown in the post above - still having the problem​
- Obtained another replacement keypad, since the first replacement may be defective​
I'll install the second keypad this weekend and hope for the best. Is there anything that I might be missing? This microwave is a PITA to get into the door assembly.

NOTE FOR OTHERS TRYING TO GET INTO THE DOOR: Removing the choke on these models is different than for your average microwave. You must remove the 2 screws on the bottom of the door to get the choke off the door (the trim that covers the inside of the door). Ask me how I know this.............Okay, I'll tell you----I damaged the choke trying to get it off without removing the screws, and the replacement choke is almost impossible to find.

Anyway, after accessing the door controls twice, I've learned how to do it fairly efficiently by leaving the microwave in place, but removing the door and having a plastic storage container sitting on the stove below at about the right height to lay the door on to work on it and access the boards. I find it easiest to first remove the two bottom screws on the door, remove the choke, then remove the door by removing the top hinge screw, prying out the bottom hinge, then laying the door on the storage container for the repair.

If you have other ideas about what might be the problem causing the random keypad changes, I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks very much!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Good information! Thanks for the update. Sounds like the keypad. Can you exchange it for a replacement?

robhouston

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply, Rick. Yes, I've received a no-charge replacement keypad, with the understanding that I need to hold onto the old board, in case Whirlpool wants it back. I just need to go through the considerable effort to replace it, and hope that it finally solves the issue,

Thanks, again!

robhouston

Premium Member
I should have mentioned that I only have to hold onto the old keypad for 30 days, after which I'm free to throw it out or recycle it.

Airnupe

Premium Member
Hey Rob,
I just received my keypad from the supplier and it looked like it came out of used microwave. Dirty, fingerprints, a grease line on the bottom edge of the keyboard glass. Called them for a replacement and was told the same thing; keep for 30 days. Wondering if they are selling us used parts. The replacement came but has little pits in the glass but is otherwise clean. Gonna install and look for another source for brand new parts. Paid too much for a used part.

Scott

robhouston

Premium Member
Yeah, that was a problem with 2 parts I received for this microwave-----the keypad and the User Interface Board. The first I received of each didn't work, and the UIB was clearly used with a broken ribbon connector, so it was totally useless, since there was no way to connect the ribbon connector from the display to the UIB. I'm not sure why the distributors are sending these out (okay, they probably received them as returns and aren't looking at them).

I hope the keypad works for you. Good luck,

Rob

Airnupe

Premium Member
Yeah, that was a problem with 2 parts I received for this microwave-----the keypad and the User Interface Board. The first I received of each didn't work, and the UIB was clearly used with a broken ribbon connector, so it was totally useless, since there was no way to connect the ribbon connector from the display to the UIB. I'm not sure why the distributors are sending these out (okay, they probably received them as returns and aren't looking at them).

I hope the keypad works for you. Good luck,

Rob
Hey Rob, where did you find the replacement choke? i have destroyed mine. This microwave is so brittle. The hinge bolt is crap, so I can't take the door off. I hate to buy a replacement Microwave for something that should be fixable. However, I may tear it up to the point that I have no choice.

Scott

robhouston

Premium Member
Hey Rob, where did you find the replacement choke? i have destroyed mine. This microwave is so brittle. The hinge bolt is crap, so I can't take the door off. I hate to buy a replacement Microwave for something that should be fixable. However, I may tear it up to the point that I have no choice.

Scott
Scott,

I found the replacement choke here, and I had searched far and wide for it:

They are ridiculously expensive (about $60 plus shipping), but I couldn't find it anywhere else. Most of the other appliance parts seller listed it as "discontinued". The real problem is that this choke attaches, and is removed, differently than most other microwave ovens, so it's so easy to destroy it until you realize how to best remove it.

Good luck,

Rob