• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Killed my WMH31017AB2 Whirlpool Microwave

Joined
Jul 28, 2022
Messages
1
Location
WI
Model Number
WMH31017AB2
Brand
Whirlpool
Age
6-10 years
While waiting for the glue to set on my broken door handle I tried turning off the light by using a wooden stick to push in the interlocks. After that I used a metal hook (Dumb I know) to pull the interlock latches back out so the door would latch and in the process I tripped the circuit breaker. I reset the breaker and the microwave is still dead. Is there some type of reset on the microwave or did I fry the microwave in the process? No keyboard scolding necessary, just answers please
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
26,059
Location
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I tried turning off the light by using a wooden stick to push in the interlocks. After that I used a metal hook

What was wrong with just unplugging the unit?!?!

I reset the breaker and the microwave is still dead. Is there some type of reset on the microwave

No reset.
Might have blown the fuse on the filter board.

whirlpool-filter-w10422269-ap5305504_01_l.jpg
LINK> Filter Board with Fuse

Check the fuse for continuity.

jeff sr.
 
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.
Top