• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kitchen Aid built in Refrigerator KSSS48MHX00 Frozen water on bottom of freezer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmcveigh

Premium Member
Model Number
KSSS48MHX00
Brand
KitchenAid
Built in 48" side by side refrigerator / freezer. In the last 9 weeks I have had a solid sheet of ice form on the floor of the freezer to the point that water is slowly dripping out of the front of the freezer to the floor. Slow leak but a sheet of ice 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch thick on freezer floor. I have to take the bottom drawer out an gently break up the ice and remove every three weeks or so. The ice simply starts to reform after cleaning.

This has to be a leak from the ice maker right? I see no obvious signs of a leak around the ice maker though. I replaced the ice maker 8 years or so ago when the original stopped making ice. The refrigerator is 20 years old so I am sure I am on borrowed time, but this thing is a beast and I don't want to replace it anytime soon!

Any troubleshooting thoughts?

Thanks for this great site by they way. You all are so helpful with the help you provide everyone.

Charlie

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No Charlie, it can also be a clogged defrost drain hole in the bottom of your metal drain trough underneath the freezer evaporator coil.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#25 is your evaporator cover
#27 is the evaporator cover screws you remove first, before you remove the evaporator cover.

Once you remove the evaporator cover--->Clear out all the ice in your drain trough(below the evaporator coils) with a hair dryer and hot water, then run something down the defrost drain hole, like a little rotor router snake.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake: http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/Cooler-Spider-Snake__CLR4690.aspx

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads.

I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down your drain to clean it completely out.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

cmcveigh

Premium Member
Thanks so much Jake that fixed my issue perfectly. I did try removing the ice and used a hair dryer and turkey baster with boiling water but the problem did return. I then ordered the Cooler Spider Snake and retried the repair. No ice build up any more.

Thanks so much for the able assistance and help provided on this forum. Good karma to you and everyone else here that help other folks in such an able and capable way!

Feel free to mark as Fixed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Charlie, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.