• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kitchen Aid KFIS29BBMS03 top refrigerator is warm

Pabst113

Premium Member
Model Number
KFIS29BBMS03
Brand
KitchenAid
I just had the control board replaced yesterday because it wouldn’t make ice and now the top refrigerator is only at 55-60 degrees. The freezer ducts appear to be freezing up and there is a little bit of frost around the top of the freezer seal as well.

The fridge and freezer worked fine prior to this. Could the new control board be defective? It is making ice no problem, just the freezer is getting blocked up now and is stopping the fridge form maintaining temps.

I’m thawing it out over night, but wondering if my appliance repair guy should come back. Is there any diagnostics that I can run or just thaw and see?

Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Do you still have the old board? Is there frost on the evaporator cover? Fans working? Sounds like an air leak around the door seal. Do you see any gaps?

Pabst113

Premium Member
I don’t have the old board, they took it for a core replacement. Why would the seals be letting air in with the new board and not the old one? The bottom of the evaporator coils in the fridge were also covered in solid ice. I defrosted the top and bottom yesterday. Some water filled the drip tray on the bottom. Also the coils under the freezer were dirty so I cleaned them. Could it be that the old board just was limping along and the new board needed a full defrost to have everything work fine? I also set the defrost cycle to be at every 8 hrs vs auto.

rickgburton

Staff member

Pabst113

Premium Member
Technician said that the high stage of the compressor is toast. Anything to do to replace that or is it just toast and time to look for a new one?

rickgburton

Staff member
The bottom of the evaporator coils in the fridge were also covered in solid ice.
Sounds like it's working OK to me. The compressor doesn't actually have a "high stage". I don't know what he was referring to.

Pabst113

Premium Member
So the freezer is working fine, but the fridge is at 70 degrees. I have had it plugged in and nothing seems to be working in the fridge. Picture attached.

Attachments

• 0BCADB63-B956-4EB4-8626-520BCBD17FB7.jpeg
    0BCADB63-B956-4EB4-8626-520BCBD17FB7.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 24

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, he was probably referring to the sealed system. Maybe the compressor is bad.

Pabst113

Premium Member
So there’s really nothing that I can do then, right? Should I just sell off the new components to get some $$ back?

rickgburton

Staff member
I'm just guessing. The compressor is either bad or good. I've never heard "high stage" used before. If the compressor is bad it's an expensive repair. You can do whatever you want with it, it's your refrigerator.