• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kitchen Aid KUIC15PLTS1 ice maker compressor hot to touch and doesn't make ice

mjanoska

Premium Member
Model Number
KUIC15PLTS1
Brand
KitchenAid
The compressor on my 12-year-old KitchenAid KUIC15PLTS1 ice machine runs hot to the touch. The machine does not make ice and the water reservoir overflows every 30 minutes after initial filling when the machine is turned on.

Here's what's going on...
  1. This machine had not been used for 4 years
  2. When turned on for the first time in 4 years, it did not make ice.
  3. I evacuated the refrigeration system via the compressor process tube and charged with 6.2 ounces of R-134a (which is the amount shown on the nameplate) via the compressor suction tube.
  4. I ran the machine for several hours. It made no ice and the compressor got super-hot so I shut it off to prevent damage.
  5. With the unit being off for a few hours , the low side pressure is 60 psi with the compressor off.
    • The nameplate shows the low side design pressure is 131 psi and high side design pressure is 390 psi.
  6. On initial turn-on, the reservoir fills to proper level and water valve shuts off.
  7. After the unit sits idle for a about a minute, the already-full water reservoir fills again and overflows.
  8. Once the 2nd reservoir filling/overflowing event ends, the reservoir re-circulation pump, compressor, and condenser fan turn on.
  9. After running for about 25-30 minutes, the already-full water reservoir fills/overflows again and the reservoir re circulation pump, compressor, and condenser fan continue to run.
    • This cycle repeats itself about every 30 minutes.
  10. The evaporator gets cold but only to about 35 degrees.
  11. The low side pressure drops to 35 psi after the machine runs for 90 minutes.

Can anyone help me figure out what’s wrong and recommend a remedy?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I evacuated the refrigeration system via the compressor process tube and charged with 6.2 ounces of R-134a
Did you vacuum the system or replace the drier?

mjanoska

Premium Member
All I did was vacuum the system for 30 minutes to negative 30 psi. I did not replace the dryer.

rickgburton

Staff member
The nameplate shows the low side design pressure is 131 psi and high side design pressure is 390 psi.
Those are not operating pressures. They're test pressures.
I did not replace the dryer.
the low side pressure is 60 psi with the compressor off.
The low side pressure drops to 35 psi after the machine runs for 90 minutes.
ice machine runs hot to the touch.
These are all sealed system problems. Sealed system repairs are best left to the professionals. From your description it's obvious you didn't do the repair on the system correctly. You'll need to call a refrigeration tech and see if he can fix your mess.

rickgburton

Staff member
I apologize if you took offense. It wasn't meant that way. It's just I see a lot of people attempt a sealed system repair when they shouldn't. It makes it a lot harder to "fix it". Every shade tree mechanic that ever added a can of 134a to their auto AC thinks they can do a refrigerator sealed systems repairs. The principal is the same but they are two different animals. You said the ice maker didn't make ice when you turned it on so you evacuated the system and recharged it. Why? What were the pressures? If the low side pressure was in a vacuum I would suspect a refrigerant leak or system restriction. Adding a small amount of R134a you can watch the pressures to determine if it's a leak or restriction. If the head pressure is too high (high side) that would indicate a restriction. You said you didn't replace the drier and 90% of all restrictions are at the drier and cap tube. When ever the system is open you need to change the drier. That's refrigeration 101. If the low side pressure is 35 to 60 the compressor is shot, it's not pumping.You need to get the sealed system working properly to find the problem with the ice maker if that wasn't the problem. That's what I mean by mess.

mjanoska

Premium Member
Thanks Rick. I appreciate your help. I discovered the system was empty when turned on after sitting idle for 4 years. That's why I evacuated and recharged it. What should the low side pressure be for this ice machine if the system is working properly?

rickgburton

Staff member