• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Kitchen Aid Oven/microwave combo microwave is dead

jasonrichards

Model Number
KEMS308SSS05
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a Kitchen Aid Wall Oven Microwave Combo Model KEMS308SSS05 that is around 2 years old.

Oven works fine

Microwave oven just died with the following symptoms.

-Display works fine and illustrates as if working normally.
-Microwave itself is dormant and silent, no fan, no stirrer/magnatron sound, no light, no turntable.

Two items to note

-we returned home from a week long trip and the oven had error message on both displays. I hit cancel which reset the error message. The problem is likely associated with this as this is the starting point of the dead microwave
-for many months before and after a self cleaning cycle in the oven, the microwave would have a loud fan noise when operated which research sounded like a bad stirrer.

I love fixing appliances and have no problem digging into this one but before I pull it from the wall I was hoping to get some feedback of likely issues or things to test.

Many thanks....

Jason

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I have only seen a couple of these....and all where a bear to get at many of the parts.

-Display works fine and illustrates as if working normally.
-Microwave itself is dormant and silent, no fan, no stirrer/magnatron sound, no light, no turntable.
Door switches, door switch keys should be checked.
Fuses, thermostats would be next on the hit list.
See tech sheet attached.

jeff.

Attachments

jeff1

Staff member
I no longer have access....lets see if bigbuck has one.
I just messaged BB.

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
Thankx BB....and even on Turkey Day ;)

jeff.