• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kitchen Aid Refrigerator KRMF706ESS01 not making ice, freezer inop

Mgalloway

Premium Member
Model Number
KRMF706ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a 3-4 year old Kitchen Aid KRMF706ESS01. About a month ago I started noticing slight ice buildup on the right hand front side of the freezer drawer. Not frost, more like water leaking in and freezing into a stalagtite type formation. They were small so I would just pull them off and never noticed any water leaks, water in drain pans, etc. All doors appear to seal very well.

About 5 days ago I noticed the ice bin was only about half full and 3 days ago I noticed the ice bin was empty. I ran the ice maker diagnostic for error codes and had E0, no codes. Commanding the tray to fill worked as it should and commanding the maker to rotate worked properly, maker re-homed with no errors.

This morning I noticed the freezer contents appeared to be thawing out so I moved a digital thermometer from the spare fridge and have about 30* freezer temps and 38* refrigerator temps. Compressor is running, evap fan is clean and blowing. Coils on the front bottom had some hair buildup so I cleaned them, powered down the unit for 10 mins to try to reset, and powered back on. Temps are still the same, no frost anywhere, and the compressor is warm (maybe hot, I can only leave my hand on it for around 5 seconds).

Other threads have mentioned light issues, lights work perfectly and produce drawers/refrigerator are working properly. Any ideas on things to check or other diagnostics to run? The diag sheet under the top hinge cover was missing, I assume the delivery techs removed it when it was delivered (doors had to be removed and reinstalled to get through the doorway).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the condenser fan motor running? Its located in the back of the refrigerator next to the compressor.

The evaporator fan motor is located inside the freezer, is that one running?

Also, remove the back panel inside the freezer and take a photo of your evaporator coil, we need to see the frost pattern of it.

Jake

Mgalloway

Premium Member
Yes, condenser fan is running and evaporator fan in the fridge is running. After diagnostics this morning I let it sit all day without opening doors, fridge is 38* and freezer is 37*. This is the best pic I could get without removing the freezer drawers.

Attachments

• 20211113_172634.jpg
    20211113_172634.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 37

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, we need you to remove that back panel inside the freezer and take a photo of it. You either have a sealed system problem or a auto-defrost problem, without removing that back panel inside the freezer we can't tell which, you know what I mean?

Its quite a job to remove it, but its either that or have a KitchenAid tech come out and do it for you.

This video should give you the general idea of how to remove the back panel inside the freezer:

Jake

Mgalloway

Premium Member
With the panel removed there is a large chunk of ice on the right hand side.

Attachments

• 20211114_121810.jpg
    20211114_121810.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20211114_121816.jpg
    20211114_121816.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 45

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks, now you have just confirmed you have a sealed system problem.

Check your owners manual warranty, some models have a 5 year parts and labor warranty on the sealed system.

Contact KitchenAid at 800-422-1230.

Jake

Mgalloway

Premium Member
Thanks for all of your help. Looking back on some records I believe it was purchased Jan-Feb of 2018 so a 5 year warranty could be possible.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I just checked your warranty and it says this below.

SECOND THROUGH FIFTH YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY ON CAVITY LINER AND SEALED REFRIGERATION SYSTEM
In the second through fifth years from the date of purchase, when this major appliance is installed, operated and maintained according to the instructions attached to or furnished with the product, KitchenAid brand will pay for factory
specified replacement parts and repair labor for the following components to correct non-cosmetic defects in materials and workmanship in this part that prevent function of the refrigerator and that existed when this major appliance
was purchased:
--->Refrigerator/freezer cavity liner if the part cracks due to defective materials or workmanship.
--->Sealed Refrigeration system (includes compressor, evaporator, condenser, dryer and connecting tubing).

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help, let us know how it goes.

Jake