• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid built in Refrig/Freezer faint beeping

CuriousBob

Model Number
KSSC42QTS02
Brand
KitchenAid
Dear blog champions,

We have a 42" built-in KitchenAid refrigerator freezer. It cools and freezes just fine and no service lights are on. However, for the past several months, the compressor will stop at random intervals followed by a faint beeping sound. The compressor starts right back up after.

I put the refrigerator in diagnostic mode. Everything passes until test 3 (Evaporator fan motor). Right at this test, the refrigerator controls go black and the refrigerator restarts in normal mode.

This pattern repeats randomly every 5 to 20 seconds. I searched this forum and found others have had this problem too. From my reading, the consensus opinion is that its a capacitor on the control board. From looking at the parts diagrams, it's not clear which control board I need. Is it the 2318054 or the W10121049?

What does this group think? How they assess the problem correctly? Which parts do I need to fix it?

CuriousBob

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check for 12 VDC on the main control board between P7-5 and P7-9. Check for 5 VDC- 12 VDC between P7-9 and P7-10. If the control board beeps is usually means the board is overheating so check the condensor coils and condensor fan motor. Make sure they're not packed with dust. The control board is Part # W10219462 NLA:Main Control Board W10219462

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Looks like Whirlpool issued that five months ago. This is the first I've heard of it. I knew it wasn't because of the Japan earthquake...LOL6c2ba386.x120.gif

EngleM

Premium Member
Same problem here, did the capacitor replacement today and it's working great, had a friend that can solder. Whatever you do don't buy the extended warranty. The certified repair company and Kitchenaid will make you wait for 30 days for the part on the 'back order' status before deciding to send the board off for fixing. Watch a YouTube video on how to remove the board. My husband and I did it this morning and the whole ordeal took less than 2 hours. Less time than waiting on repair man the first time. Complained about extended warranty hoax and was refunded complete amount! The part was $1.49 @ RadioShack. Not bad for a 8k fridge fix! Thanks to the previous threads on what/how to fix!!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Same problem here, did the capacitor replacement today and it's working great, had a friend that can solder. Whatever you do don't buy the extended warranty. The certified repair company and Kitchenaid will make you wait for 30 days for the part on the 'back order' status before deciding to send the board off for fixing. Watch a YouTube video on how to remove the board. My husband and I did it this morning and the whole ordeal took less than 2 hours. Less time than waiting on repair man the first time. Complained about extended warranty hoax and was refunded complete amount! The part was $1.49 @ RadioShack. Not bad for a 8k fridge fix! Thanks to the previous threads on what/how to fix!!!
That's why they issued the new board kit, because another component on the board made that capacitor go bad, so the capacitor will keep going out continually, I'm sorry to say, until you install the new control board kit.

Jake