• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Dishwasher 16 years old and recently started leaving gummy stuff on the dishes. What the heck is this?

kfank

Premium Member
Model Number
N/A
Brand
KitchenAid
My dishwasher is 16 years old and recently started leaving gummy stuff on the dishes. I thought someone had left a plate of noodles in there without rinsing it off. I found that the jets were clogged and the water pipe to the upper sprayers had this stuff inside. I removed the sump cover and everything was completely covered in this stuff:

IMG_1065A.jpg

It has a rubbery consistency and it is not food (I don't think). I cleaned it out as best I could but there is still some residual stuff in the system. I photo is something I just pulled out of one of the jets. It's about 1 inch square. I'm wondering if it is some weird sort of compound that has formed from the dishwasher soap and hard water over 16 years. Does anyone have any idea what this is from? Apart from this the dishwasher still works great.

kfank

Premium Member
The sump area was uniformly covered in this stuff; it was not in pieces. So it coats the sump and the inside of the sprayer system. When pieces break off they either plug the jets or get on the dishes.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

What the heck is this?

Not a damn clue!

Kinda looks like a raw hide chew from our dog ;)

wondering if it is some weird sort of compound that has formed from the dishwasher soap and hard water over 16 years

Gotta be....double check your water temp.

jeff.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
It looks like chicken skin. You didn't wash a chicken prior to cooking it, did you?

Dan O.

kfank

Premium Member
It looks like chicken skin. You didn't wash a chicken prior to cooking it, did you?
Nope, not chicken skin, but yeah, that's what it looks like. Like I said, the whole sump area was covered with it. It was uniformly covered, not by pieces of the stuff. I wish I had taken a photo of it before I cleaned it.