• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Dishwasher KDFE104DBL4 - Need to perform cycle reset for DW to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart8209

Premium Member
Model Number
KDFE104DBL4
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi,

My kitchen aid dishwasher will often stop cleaning the dishwashes good. The drying cycle or heated water also stops. It will sometimes not complete a cycle.

If I do a reset (pressing the 3 buttons )and it go through the reset sequence, it will all work good and do a very good job (water heats and dryng cycle works fine).

Suggestions what is going on here.

Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Stuart8209

Premium Member
Not yet, becuase why would it run fine after the reset? Just wondering why the latch could be an issue and then not an issue after an electroninc rest.

Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Not yet, becuase why would it run fine after the reset?
That's what I'm wondering too.

Its best at this point to contact KitchenAid at 1-800-422-1230 to have a tech come out and see what's going on.

Jake

Stuart8209

Premium Member
Hi ,
Back again. I've confirmed it's a 7-1 code.
I've read a bad pump motor can throw this code in addition to the control board. How do I check the motor?
The heating element works fine during the diagnostic cycle.

Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Stuart now we are getting to the heart of the matter.:)

I've confirmed it's a 7-1 code.
I've read a bad pump motor can throw this code in addition to the control board. How do I check the motor?
Because the water has to pass(get sprayed) over the heating element to heat the water. Since the wash motor isn't running the water can't get sprayed over the heating element to heat the water, thus error code 7-1 comes up as not heating the water.

It's usually the wash motor thats the culprit, this has become a common problem as of late, many members here have reported the same. In fact I had 2 in Sept. 2018 in Parker, Arizona that did the exact same thing, and the new wash motor fixed them both.:)

Look at post #7 here:

I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 is made by Whirlpool which owns KitchenAid, and uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use your multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor below.

Here is the wash motor assembly you can order:
W11032770 Motor-Pump

Here's the video to replace it:

Jake

Stuart8209

Premium Member
I pulled the bottom cover and see the wires to the motor. (I think). Are they yellow?

Do i have to remove the DW to do this or is it the plug with the yellow wires.

If it's the plug, I can't figure out how to pull it, is there a tab?

Thank you

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The 2 wires to the wash motor are light blue, watch the video link I posted above, it shows you how to remove that wire connector to the wash motor.

Yes, you may have to pull the dishwasher out some to get better access to it.

Jake

Stuart8209

Premium Member
Hi, I see what your saying, but if it was the wash motor, why wouldn't the dry cycle work either? After I run the diagnostic, it will run fine every time. If it was an issue with the wash motor, wouldn't it occasional fail even after a reset? tks

(just trying to think this through more..if I pull the DW out to test motor, I have to disconnect the power leads)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I see what you mean.

Ok, well the only other part that would cause this problem is the control board.

Here's the control board for your model:

This video shows how to access it:

Jake

Stuart8209

Premium Member
Replaced the board. Now the water does not even start to wash.:cry: Don't hear it fill or nothing.

When I first tried it after replacing the board, it started to wash and I thought it was good. I stopped it to see if the water was heating and it has not washed since. I've tried the front panel reset a few times and nothing. I've turned the power off. It may be the pump as you suggested, but before I changed th board, it would work fine if I reset it each time, so it did not make sense it's the pump. Not sure replacing the pump at $250 is worth it.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Replaced the board. Now the water does not even start to wash.:cry: Don't hear it fill or nothing.
Your control board is defective, where did you get it at?

Jake

Stuart8209

Premium Member
That's possible, but I just don't think so since the diagnostic cylce seems to run fine. I would think if there was an issue with the board, an error code would show up. It was a brand new control board. I checked door switch and it's good. Have continuity when latched. It started washing right (thought it was solved) after I put in back together then stopped and won't start again. I can hear it fill with water, then no more action from it. I can also hear the control board clicking. I can feel the heat from the heating element that would heat the water. Ahhh....

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then that brings us back to post #6, your wash motor isn't running, do what I mentioned in post #6 to do.

--->Check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle.

That clicking noise is a sure sign the wash motor is the culprit.

Jake

Stuart8209

Premium Member
Thank you for the response.

Yesterday I ran it on the "Pro Wash" cycle and it went through the entire cycle, cleaned like a champ. Today, I ran it in the "Normal" cycle and it has been stopped for about 30 min mid way through. The heat is working, but stopped washing. My wife thinks this pausing is normal. I'm going to leave for a few hours and see if it finishes, if not, I'm going to try the "Pro wash again".

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, but if it was normal why didn't it do the pause when the dishwasher was brand new up till now?

Jake

Stuart8209

Premium Member
The cycle was finished when I came home. It was complete and "santized" I started another cycle to test. On both Normal or Prowash, the water wash cycle would not start after 30 min or so, but for both test trials, when I opened the door, their was lots of steam and it was very hot inside the dishwasher. But it was stuck on the wash cycle with no apparent wash/water running. I know you suggest the motor pump, but it will occasionally work. It seems like there is some other interlock...like the latch (but I checked it) andinlet water temp?? tks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
See that's the problem Stuart, this issue is intermittent, so that's when you have to use your meter to check for 120 volts when you don't hear it washing, when it should be washing.

Jake

Stuart8209

Premium Member
Hi

Want to give credit where due...Finally solved. I replaced the wash motor like you suggested in a previous comment. I know this has been a long thread and thank you for your help. I just did not think it was the issue as it intermittently worked and always worked on the diagnostic cycle.

Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Stuart, glad to hear the new wash motor fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.