• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Dishwasher KDFE104DSS5 doesn't pump, low voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveInBentHarb

Premium Member
Model Number
KDFE104DSS5
Brand
KitchenAid
My KitchenAid KDFE104DSS5 dishwasher was filling up with water but not running, so I ran the diagnostic on it and got the 4-3 motor code, and only that one.

Before replacing the motor, I followed the advice in this YouTube video and popped open the door and gained access to the controller board. The probes on my multimeter were too fat to fit in the tiny holes, so I just completely unplugged the motor plug from the board (two light blue wires) and touched my probes to the contacts and ran the dishwasher.

The voltage wasn't *gone* when running the wash cycle when the pump should've been running, but the voltage was definitely low - lower than 120. It read as 53-55 volts (I think mostly 53.7 or 54.7. (Keywords "low voltage" for the next shmuck who has this question).

Is the DSS5 just lower voltage than other models because it's energy efficient, or because I tested it with the motor unplugged, or is the controller board probably my problem?

I'm asking because when I tried to verify the problem I used alligator clips to connect to the contacts and accidentally shorted it and blew up the board (POP! Tested, no power at all to the motor now), so I know I need a new board and already ordered one, but I'm not sure whether my original test means I need the pump motor as well - or perhaps the pump motor is just clogged and dirty?

Thanks for any tips you can offer!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The wash motor should be getting a constant 120 volts to it.

Here is the wash motor assembly for your model: W11084656 Motor-Pump

You can use the safety pin trick if your meter leads are too big:

safety pin 500x250.jpg

Here's the control board for your model:

Here's how I do it in this thread, and advise others to do it the same way:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

DaveInBentHarb

Premium Member
I replaced the control board. That did not fix it.

So I removed the pump and tested it with the ohmmeter. It did not appear to have resistance within the factory specifications.

Then I replaced the circulation pump, and I heard the sweet, sweet sound of swishing water.

So I held down the cancel button to drain it so I could load in my dishes and start a new cycle, and... instead of draining, it shut off! I'm so confused!

It's possible that some of the wires got crossed when I re-assembled things... is that a likely cause of my sudden power loss when I try to drain?

Should I open this as a new thread?

Last edited:

DaveInBentHarb

Premium Member
Turns out, the problem appears to be with the cancel button, not with the drain pump. For some reason the cancel/drain button wants to shut off the whole dishwasher instead of cancelling / draining, or at least it did last time I used it.

But I ran a full diagnostic and it drained just fine, so I think maybe the problem is just that button, and it turns out, I can live without that button. We've had the thing two years and I can't think of a single time I've used it on purpose except maybe when I started the dishwasher by accident, which... eh. It just drained water that half the time wasn't in there to begin with.

If it turns out I can't live with it I'll come back and start a new thread.

Also, totally random: I realized Kitchenaid hides their factory manuals... in the sound buffering material behind the lower access cover??? Good to know where that's hiding 😉

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You should of used the safety pin trick Dave before you ordered the control board. 9 out of 10 times the control board is fine and the wash motor is the culprit.

Glad to hear the new wash motor fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Canceling a Cycle
1. Open the door slightly to stop the cycle. Wait for the spraying action to stop before completely opening the door.
2. Press and hold CANCEL/DRAIN button once. The Cancel/ Drain light will light up.
3. Close the door and the dishwasher starts a drain cycle (if water remains in bottom of dishwasher). Let the dishwasher drain completely. The Cancel/Drain light turns off after 2 minutes.

Changing a Cycle After Dishwasher Is Started
1. You can interrupt a cycle and restart your dishwasher from the beginning using the following procedure.
2. Open the door slightly to stop the cycle. Wait for the spraying action to stop, then open the door completely.
3. Check that detergent dispenser cover is still closed. If cover is open, you will need to refill the detergent dispenser before restarting your new cycle.
4. Press CANCEL/DRAIN and wait approximately 2 minutes until the machine drains and the Cancel/Drain light turns off.
5. Select new cycles and options.
6. Press START/RESUME.

Also, totally random: I realized Kitchenaid hides their factory manuals... in the sound buffering material behind the lower access cover??? Good to know where that's hiding 😉
Whirlpool Corporation is located in Benton Harbor. Whirlpool owns KitchenAid.

Drive over to their Headquarters and let the CEO know. LOL

Jake

DaveInBentHarb

Premium Member
I did actually confirm the control board was broken in my second test of the board... by breaking it. Got my alligator clips too close together, loud popping sound, scorch marks on the housing... completely dead. I knew the control board was fried because I fried it myself.

Before I saw the paperclip trick. 😅

I knew about Whirlpool being in BH and owning KitchenAid; I picked up the dishwasher from a Whirlpool / United Way Employee Charity sale. (The sale was by the employees; I'm not an employee)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.