• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Dishwasher KDFE204ESS0 Filling/Draining But Not Moving Water Internally

cannonballmn

Premium Member
Model Number
KDFE204ESS0
Brand
KitchenAid
I'd appreciate some feedback/guidance on the topic and thanks in advance for any help.

The dishwasher stopped cleaning a few days ago and now, after some debugging, it seems as though the pump is not moving any water internally around the compartment. I had replaced the inlet valve because dishes were not wet inside at all, but that didn't fix it and I found that it was actually pumping water into the unit and opening/closing properly.

It does pump water in and then make sounds from motor area when I start a basic "rinse" cycle. I've jimmy-rigged the door to think that it's closed and haven't seen any water fire around the arms (although with noises). When I end the cycle (or close the door), water does pump out to my sink drain - so this part works. I'm not sure how independent those functions are (moving water around and draining the dishwasher). I'm thinking just a new unit (7 years old) if I need to replace the whole pump mechanism at $300. But if there's any suggestions about other sensors/etc to check, I'm all ears.

Also, does anyone know if the diagnostic interface works with this model? I've tried the 123-123-123, etc and haven't seen the lights come on - but then I think that might apply to other models.

Thanks in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Remove the electrical connector to that circulation wash motor and put your meter probes in it and see if you get 120 volts after it fills, when it should be running.
(click to enlarge)
dishwash120volts.jpg

Here's the wash motor assembly for your model you can order, if needed:
W11032770 Motor-Pump

Here's the video to replace it:

Also, does anyone know if the diagnostic interface works with this model? I've tried the 123-123-123, etc and haven't seen the lights come on - but then I think that might apply to other models.
I'm attaching your tech data sheet below, look on page 3 and page 6.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10751166 - Rev C.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 66

cannonballmn

Premium Member
Great info. Thanks, Jake. Those service manual pages are great. I will advise on what I find over the next few days.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

cannonballmn

Premium Member
I just wanted to follow up that I did get the dishwasher working again, after replacing the circulation pump. Thanks for the insight. I found it helped to flip the dishwasher on it's back and then rotate it 90 degrees in order to get good access to the circulation pump when replacing it. But that did do the trick and it's back up and running again.

I was also able to get the diagnostic mode to work with 123-123-123 method. I think the step that I was missing was doing it with the door open and then closing the door? Not sure - but this model is capable of that mode.

Thanks again, Jake.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new wash motor(circulation pump) fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

I was also able to get the diagnostic mode to work with 123-123-123 method. I think the step that I was missing was doing it with the door open and then closing the door? Not sure - but this model is capable of that mode.
Yes, that is true.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.