• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Dishwasher (KDFE304DBL0) will not start

Kier4161

Premium Member
Model Number
KDFE304DBL0
Brand
KitchenAid
I am attempting to repair my dishwasher which will not start. The unit has power as lights will come on. Pressing start will cause the "washing" and "add dish" lights to turn on (steady) but nothing happens. After a minute or so, the lights will go off and the "cancel" light will light. I have checked the latch switch by removing it completely from the door assembly and checking continuity with a meter. The latch switch works as expected. I don't believe there is a thermal fuse on this unit. The only other item I can think which might have gone bad is the control/touch pad assembly which I will have to swap out in order to determine if this is the problem. Am I missing anything? Is there something else I should look at before swapping out the control/touch pad assembly?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like possibly a short in the keypad assembly

Do this below:
- Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
- Disassemble door and disconnect keypad connection from control board or LCD display module.
- Verify all other connections to control board are made.
- Reassemble door, but do not close door.
- Plug in dishwasher or reconnect power.
- Wait at least 7 seconds for control board to power up completely.
- Close dishwasher door and monitor control board response:
A. If control board is OK (no longer sees stuck keys/short with keypad unplugged), it will respond by turning on the drain motor for 2 minutes. Replace control panel keypad assembly.
B. If control board is not OK (still sees stuck keys/short with keypad unplugged), it will not turn on drain motor. Wait for at least 10 seconds. If there is still no drain response, then replace control board or LCD display module (whichever one the keypad was connected to).

Here's the control panel keypad assembly for your model:
WPW10537349 Panel-Ctrl

Here's the control board for your model:
Control Board W10866116

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Kier4161

Premium Member
Hello Jake,

Thank you for your prompt response. I have completed the procedure you suggested and nothing happened (ie, the drain motor did not turn on). Therefore, from the description you mentioned about, I am dealing with situation B and need to replace the control board. Being I'm in a large metropolitan area, I'm going to attempt to source one here first. Hopefully, I can have this fixed today.

Howard

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Howard, then yes, the new control board should fix it, yes keep us posted.

Jake

Kier4161

Premium Member
I have received the new OEM control board. I swapped it out. Both good and bad news. The dishwasher now has a different behavior. When I press start, I hear a soft motor pulsing. It runs for about 2 minutes and then shuts off. When it shuts off, only the cancel light on the touch pad is lit. When I open the door, the light goes off. I can press all the other buttons and their lights will come on. Pressing start repeats the behavior.

I also noticed some water in the bottom of the machine. It just touches the heating element. Since I was in the area, I cleaned out the drain filter, scrubbed it clean and then replaced it. Still have the same problem.

1) Did I waste money on a part I didn't need?
2) What do I do next?

Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange. Did you order it from my link to it above at AppliancePartsPros?

The tech. data sheet said that should fix it.

If you press cancel does it drain?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

--->Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Do that now, and report back.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, both of those codes are related to the drain.

You didn't answer my question above, when you press cancel does it drain? Do you hear the drain motor come on or hum or make any sound at all? If not you will need to use a multimeter and check for 120 volts to drain pump when it should be draining.

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

Page 9
8-1--->Slow Drain
8-4--->Drain Motor Electrical Problem

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10543820 - Rev B.pdf
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 64

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Did you check for a clog in the drain hose? What I do is remove the drain hose from where it connects under the sink, then get a bucket or container and put the drain hose in the bucket or container and see if water comes out of the drain hose when it drains.

Does the drain pump run at all? Any sound at all coming from it even if its not running? Like a hum sound?

If no clog then its possibly your drain pump, if the pump doesn't kick in at all, I usually take a volt reading at the pump electrical terminals, to see if its getting 120 volts when the control board tells the drain pump to come on and drain.

Do you have a multimeter?

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump WPW10531320

Jake

Kier4161

Premium Member
Good news! It is running. First I removed the drain hose from the garbage disposal and drained the line. Next, I slide the dishwasher from under the counter and accessed the bottom. I disconnected the drain hose and determined the drain pump impeller would not turn. At that point, I removed the drain pump from the bottom of the housing. When I did, I noticed a piece of glass on the ground, in the water. Checking the drain pump, it turned freely. I replaced the pump, reconnected everything. When I applied power to the unit, the drain pump ran for about 2 minutes. Next I ran the diagnostic which ran without any errors. Finally, I had the dishwasher run through an express wash. No problems found!

Now I am wondering if I had a problem with the control board AND the pump or just the pump. Any thoughts?

Thank you for all your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job finding that the drain motor was not running because of that glass in the drain pump impeller.(y)

Yes, you needed the control board because you said it would not do nothing in your first post, then after you replaced the control board you said this:
When I press start, I hear a soft motor pulsing. It runs for about 2 minutes and then shuts off.

Jake

Kier4161

Premium Member
I really appreciate all the advice you've provided. My specialty is computers, if you ever have a computer problem, feel free to send me a DM. Meanwhile, I hate to just add to the landfill and saw refurbished control boards. So is there a place I can send the old board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks!

Meanwhile, I hate to just add to the landfill and saw refurbished control boards. So is there a place I can send the old board?
See if you can locate a e-cycling place in your area, and they should take it.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You're welcome.:)

Jake