• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Dishwasher KDFM404KPS Leaking From Left Hand Side


Premium Member
Aug 5, 2022
Model Number
Not Totally Sure
1-5 years
I have a Kitchenaid KDFM404KPS SS Dishwasher that is about 2 years old and I found out that there is a leak coming out of what seems to be the water-inlet valve on the left-side of the unit. I first thought that perhaps it had a crack in it, so I bought a new one and put it in. That didn't fix it, the water still leaks as the water spins its way though the valve. So I thought maybe it was a bad gasket, I had the gasket on the new unit and the gasket was on the outside of the dishwasher. I then tried the gasket inside the unit (where the large nut is) and that didn't fix it. I then tried one gasket on the inside and one on the outside, and still no luck. I have no idea what is wrong with it. Any ideas?


  • gasket1.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_0622.MOV
    15.9 MB
We the complete model number first, read it from the tag inside the door on the tub frame.

Click here: Appliance Parts

Then you will see a link that says: How to find a model number.

I found the issue, which I thought was very odd. It appears that the water is escaping through what I could describe as "airgaps" or "overflow gaps". The water (in red shown below) comes in and swirls around in the center to enter the dishwasher. However, because of the fast flow of the water pressure, it flows up the side of the unit and escapes via the two holes. If I turned down my water pressure there, the volume of water decreases and doesn't send the water up and through the holes. I am not sure why/how my water pressure has suddenly gone up to cause this "leak", but I am wondering why those escape gaps are there. I assume they are air gaps.

Oh duh, my model number is KDFM404KPS, which I put in the title of the post.
Oh duh, my model number is KDFM404KPS, which I put in the title of the post.
Your still missing a digit.

Here's the results I get:

Take a photo of the model number tag please and upload it here.

Those air gaps are suppose to be there. What is the water pressure coming into the machine?

I have run into this exact issue. This post is kind of old. But can anyone tell me how the water pressure is turned down?
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Support Our Site

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation, please consider making a donation.