• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kitchenaid Dishwasher KDPE234GPS0 Pump not running on wash cycle

rover_nut

Premium Member
Model Number
KDPE234GPS0
Brand
KitchenAid
Not real sure when I bought it new.
SN is F74325920
When we start it the pump doesn't run, but I don't think it's actually the pump because when I press cancel I can hear it trying to pump out the water, so I suspect one of the switches or relays.
Everything lights as it should when I'm setting the cycle.
I've looked through the threads for this model, but doesn't appear anyone has experienced a pump running only on drain.
Are there diagnostic steps somewhere I can review?

Regards,
Tom

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Tom, when you press cancel the drain pump should be running to drain the water, put your hand on the drain pump and feel if its vibrating.

If you feel it vibrating then it sounds like you may have a foreign object in the drain pump, like a seed, toothpick, etc. making that noise.

You will need to remove it and look inside it with a flashlight and see. Make sure you disconnect power to your dishwasher first!

Watch this video to access it:

Here's the drain pump for your model:
W10876537 Pump-Drain

Jake

rover_nut

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, but I think you misunderstood.

On Cancel it sounds completely normal (except there's no water to pump out).
When on wash it never runs that I can hear.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, lets start fresh. When you start a new cycle you hear the water fill then nothing? The wash motor is not running? And there is plenty of water in the bottom of the tub?

If that's the case--->Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

If you want to verify it, I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle and running after it fills with water.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use a multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor assembly.
(click to enlarge)
dishwash120volts.jpg

Here is the wash motor assembly for your model you can order: W11084656 Motor-Pump

Or for $15 less you can get the entire assembly, which comes with the wash motor already installed for you in the sump:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

rover_nut

Premium Member
Well, I tried running an express wash this morning, I'd tried tough and regular, and it doesn't appears to be getting very little to no water.
So I need to look in to that first.
The pump MAY be running, just with no water.

Jake,
Is there a link to donate $$ to the forum maintenance?
The forum has saved my wife and me a good bit over the years so I'd like to pass some of those savings on.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Scroll down to the very bottom of this page or any page and you will see a GOLD DONATE button, thanks!

Jake