• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kitchenaid Dishwasher KDS16 water drains immediately

rsc22

Premium Member
Model Number
KDS16
Brand
KitchenAid
A new symptom has developed on my kitchenaid Superba KDS16.

I noticed soap was not being spread after dispenser door opened. Then I noticed dishes didn’t appear wet after wash cycle.

I looked at the drain in the sink as the pre wash and wash fill cycles were running and saw water exiting the dishwasher directly to the drain.

This would explain the soap and lack of water symptoms.
My question is - which part should I be looking at that is causing this problem?

Thank you for any suggestions.

rsc22

Premium Member
Thanks. Sounds like correct diagnoses for symptoms. Can you confirm this may be correct replacement part:
KITCHENAID-HOBART-Dishwasher-DRAIN-VALVE-102280-81490-1

KITCHENAID- HOBART Dishwasher DRAIN VALVE 102280 /81490-1​

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Both those part numbers eventually substitute to the one I linked to. Whether is is backward compatible I don't know. The version I linked to was the last valve design I seen used on old K/A dishwashers before Whirlpool. I don't know if the newest design was to solve and inherent problems with the original valves.

Dan O.

Last edited:

rsc22

Premium Member
Dan
The thing I’m most concerned with is the 90 degree angle you see in my picture of the intake/output nozzle angle. These match what my current valve has, while the one you referenced has 180 degree between input output.
if you say “just bend the hoses to fit and you’ll be ok”, I’d feel better. If you said “180 won’t fit” I’d be concerned.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The part I linked to is what KitchenAid (now Whirlpool) recommends as the replacement for all previous drain valves. It has got to fit and function. I have not personally worked on one of those machines. They're a bit before my time. They certainly don't make them like that any longer!

Good luck!

Dan O.