• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kitchenaid Dishwasher KDTE104ESS0 not washing and water not heating

Mocoondo

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE104ESS0
Brand
KitchenAid
I've had a strange issue occurring with my 4 year old Kitchenaid. Started noticing unusually long wash cycles so began observing the dishwasher more closely and realized that after the initial rinse cycle which appears to occur normally, the dishwasher fills with water and then enters a long pause with an occasional "click" noise heard underneath as if a timer were advancing. I believe it should be heating the water at this point, but it will sit there for a long time with the heat element not on per measurement with an IR thermometer. After a while, the dishwasher eventually starts the wash cycle and the soap drops, but periodically it will stop again mid-cycle for a long time.

So far, I have replaced the door latch, the turbidity sensor and the hi-limit thermostat with no real change. The diagnostic cycle reveals a 6-4 code, but there are no obvious issues with the overfill float.

Any ideas?

Mocoondo

Premium Member
Updating this thread, this afternoon I started a cycle again, the water filled, shut off and then the dishwasher just sat there doing nothing but an occasional click. I pulled the door apart and decided to test for power across the wash motor and found 120V at P5-1 to P5-2, however the motor would not run. Suspecting the wash motor is faulty, I ordered one. We’ll see if that helps.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Mocoondo

Premium Member
Jake, I ordered just the motor with the intention of replacing only that part versus the entire pump. Do you think that is a bad idea? Is it a better approach to replace the entire pump assembly?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Mocoondo

Premium Member
We’re back in business!

Replaced a Chinese motor with a Mexico motor and the dishwasher started right up and completed a full wash cycle. Next time, I will replace the entire motor/pump assembly as recommended by Jake as it would have been much easier, though a bit more expensive. I found the new motor on Amazon for $95 delivered overnight making this a reasonably inexpensive repair. The only difference is the motor was slightly different dimensionally and I had to adjust the isolator at the back of the motor so it would fit to the pump assembly.

Attachments

• D5D19C7F-D4D2-455B-8544-E439136AE89D.jpeg
    D5D19C7F-D4D2-455B-8544-E439136AE89D.jpeg
    523.6 KB · Views: 26

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job(y)

As you probably know, we techs here are NOT fans of getting appliance parts on amazon or ebay, as they are aftermarket parts and do not hold up in the long run.

Trust me, you will need to replace the wash motor again when it gives out again in short time.

Its always more wise to buy the OEM wash motor or the entire wash motor sump assembly.:)

Jake

Mocoondo

Premium Member
I don't disagree with that Jake. My preference is to always use OEM parts but when you have a significant other looking over your shoulder 'very concerned' with the pile of dirty dishes in the sink, time definitely becomes of the essence. :) Next time, I will do the entire sump assembly as that would have ultimately been an easier repair and replaced all the moving components.

This time I lucked out and received an Askoll brand motor made in Mexico and it looked and felt much better quality than the broken Chinese motor it replaced. After doing a little bit of research, Askoll is a major player in electric motors and they sell to a lot of OEM's including LG, Whirlpool, Samsung, Bosch, Electrolux, etc., so I feel reasonably safe, but as you point out, time will tell all.

On the plus side, I learned a lot about the dishwasher in the process. This is the first time I have tackled a repair on an electronic dishwasher and feel a lot more confident about it now. In the past, I could figure out my way around an old analog dishwasher pretty easily, but newer dishwashers can be a bit intimidating until you get it figured out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.