• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Dishwasher KDTE104ESS3 The pump runs intermittently

MitchNC

Premium Member
Hello,
I have a KDTE104ESS3. The pump runs intermittently. I can hear the relay click but the pump doesn't come on. It tries 5 times then gives up but continues to run through the cycle without washing (ie, it dumps the soap, heats).
Sometimes the pump engages on the first try. Opening and closing the door restarts the process. The pump always ends up running but sometimes takes 20 tries!

Also, it has now stopped heating.

When I enter the diagnostics "123 123 123" all LEDs light up. When I press Start nothing changes.
How do I see the error codes? I have the tech sheet.

I'm definitely not going to spend $250 on parts for a $500 dishwasher. Seems these things only last 3 years, even when I threw money at it with a $1200 Bosh several years ago.

Edit: Now I understand the codes. When I close the door in diagnostics mode I get error 7-1, which is no heater.
Would this cause the pump issue?"

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Mitch,

Yes, It's most likely a bad wash motor, this has become a common problem as of late, many members here have reported the same. In fact I had 2 this past Sept. 2018 in Parker, Arizona that did the exact same thing, and the new wash motor fixed them both.:)

Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 is made by Whirlpool, which owns KitchenAid, and uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use your multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor below.

Here's the wash motor assembly for your model you can order:
W11032770 Motor-Pump

Here's the video to replace it:

Jake

MitchNC

Premium Member
Are people seeing the intermittent issue like mine?
After I posted I opened the door and the air was warm. The element was hot. I ran the diagnostic again and got 7-1, heater error.

I tried to get a cycle to run and couldn't. I didn't cancel.
About 10 minutes later I heard it running. I opened the door and a huge steam cloud came out.
Intermittent problems are the worst.

So I guess after Christmas I'll pull it out and look for anything obvious. I definitely won't pay $200 for a pump. I'd rather get a cheap, loud dishwasher with a plastic tub for $350, install it myself, buy a 4-year warranty and know that it won't last longer than that.

What a shame. The expensive Bosch I had at my previous home was such a lemon that Lowe's cut me a check after the 3rd service call.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, intermittent problems are the hardest to nail down.

The water has to pass(get sprayed) over the heating element to heat the water. Since the wash motor isn't running continually, the water can't get sprayed over the heating element to heat the water properly, thus error code 7-1 comes up as not heating the water.

Jake

MitchNC

Premium Member
But when I disconnect power to reset the unit, then reconnect and run diagnostics, it throws error 7-1 before doing anything else. Before even trying to start the pump.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I know because that error code is stored, look at your tech. data sheet and it will show you how to clear it.

Jake

MitchNC

Premium Member
Ok it's running through all its procedures. It didn't do that before. Very cool.
Pump worked just fine, no error codes.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Mitch sounds good, but if you didn't replace that wash motor it is possibly going to keep happening again intermittently.

Jake