• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Dishwasher KDTE104ESS4 Code 91 recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpedrant

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE104ESS4
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello,

I have a KDTE104ESS4 dishwasher.

It does NOT seem to be washing as good as it should:
1. It has the strangest intermittent humming/throbbing sound.
2. I also detect that it is not emptying/rinsing that well sometimes. It smells a little like dried soap and the water left in the filter sump always seems cloudy.

First #1:
I managed to get it into Diag. cycle. It gave me code 91, "Diverter, Can't find position"

My question is, how to diagnose/repair this without removing the unit 5 times. :)
Is this a "replace the part" or "take it out and grab a multi-meter" type of deal. I am fine with either. But, I cannot find out specific testing procedure for the diverter sensor.

I will tackle #2 after #1 is fixed, because, it might fix that as well. Maybe.... :)

Thanks!
Brian

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Brain, that error code should be 9-1 Diverter Can't find Position.

Screenshot 2022-03-15 16.53.40.png

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below. Look on Page 11 where it says--->Service Diagnostics Cycle Notes--->Note 1---> To invoke the Service Diagnostics cycle, perform the following while in Standby: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. The Service Diagnostics cycle will start when the door is closed.

Then Note 5--->Diverter will be on continuously in intervals 14 and 13. In all other intervals, diverter will be on only until it reaches the intended position for that interval. On page 13 is intervals 14 and 13.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10904613 - Rev B.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 69

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also, get a flashlight and see if you notice water stains underneath the diverter motor, if so then its been leaking water and you'd need to replace the sump and diverter motor. The diverter motor seal is integrated into the sump.

Here's the sump assembly for your model:
WPW10455268 Sump

Here's the diverter motor for your model:
W10537869 Motor

Jake

bpedrant

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply, but I know the diverter drive motor is working. I can hear the water moving from the upper to lower arms.
No water leaks either. But, without taking the sensor out, I am not 100% sure.

To me, according to the service notes, it seems like the diverter sensor is bad or the control board is bad.
I rather not start replacing parts that start at $90.00, without knowing which one is bad.

I'll pull the dishwasher out and put it on my bench and run it, and re-seat the connectors, check for leaks, etc.

-Brian

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The diverter sensor is integrated into the diverter motor, so if you order the new diverter motor you get a new diverter sensor already installed in it.

But first check and make sure the diverter plate is aligned and "snapped"/locked in place.

The diverter disc MAYBE sliding up the shaft while the unit is running. This gives it just enough space to slide off it's groove.

Watch this video below, it shows you how it clips in on the shaft.

Start reading at post #12 here:

Jake

bpedrant

Premium Member
OK, Update.

I took the dishwasher out and pulled out the diverter motor/sensor unit.

As I expected, it is a relatively simple device. It looks to have had some water issues over the past and corroded a terminal on the "circuit board".
The micro tactile switch is also corroded and broken.

Instead of dropping $100 on a new assembly, I ordered a new switch from Amazon for $5.99. It will be here tomorrow.
Actually, it is like 20 switches! amazon.com/Momentary-Tactile-Through-Breadboard-Friendly/dp/B07WF76VHT
(I am not the first owner of the dishwasher. I think the previous owner had a couple of parts replaced, fixing a leak.)

-Brian

Attachments

• 20220316_164334.jpg
    20220316_164334.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220316_164341.jpg
    20220316_164341.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220316_164348.jpg
    20220316_164348.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 54

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Brian, good find, you nailed it.(y)

Jake

bpedrant

Premium Member
Amazon delivered the switches in 1 day.
I replaced the switch on the original circuit board yesterday. Cleaned up the contacts and soldered new wires to the board, since the crappy connectors from the factory were corroded.
(Little rant: why would they use such cheap connectors in an appliance that swishes water around for a living? I think adding about $10 of cost could have solved this issue. They should talk to ANY auto manufacturer. LOL)

I also took the opportunity to take out and check the washing pump and drain pump and housings/sumps. Everything was clean, no debris.
I put everything back together last night. Ran another diag cycle, then a full cycle. No codes and the dishwasher seems to be running and cleaning great!

This repair would have cost $300.00-$400, if the owner did not want to DIY it.
It cost me $5.99, and about the same amount of time that it would have to find a repair shop to come to my house. :)
(I realize that I got lucky. If the main board died or one of the pumps died, it would have cost much more.)

I hope this helps someone else out there.
My motto is: "Let me take it apart and see if I can fix it before throwing it away."
It is usually cheaper, almost always quicker, and greener.

-Brian

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job Brian.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.