• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Dishwasher KDTE204DSS0 Burned Control Board and Wiring

ScottKE

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE204DSS0
Brand
KitchenAid
Dishwasher was not washing or drying dishes. Circuit breaker tripped. Opened to look at control panel and saw melted parts due to overheated wiring. Control board is burned at the Heater Mains, and wiring harness is burned similar to this post: https://www.applianceblog.com/mainf...m354ess1-control-board-started-burning.85704/

I am assuming that I should replace the control board and the wiring harness, but is there something else that I should be checking as far as the cause of this? I don't want to spend all that money to replace those and do it all over again if there is something else at play here. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20220111_162645.jpg
    IMG_20220111_162645.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20220111_162638.jpg
    IMG_20220111_162638.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20220111_162526.jpg
    IMG_20220111_162526.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 67

ScottKE

Premium Member
I should also say that the dishwasher was giving a 7-1 error code.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I've seen this happen many times on my service calls, its the control board itself that's the only cause of this problem. So you'd need a new control board and you can just go your local hardware store and buy 4 FEMALE wire terminal connectors, and cut the old plastic connector off, and strip the wire insulation back a little on each wire and crimp the new FEMALE terminals on the 4 wires directly to the new control board.

Here's the control board for your model:
Control Board W10866116

I use this wire stripping tool:
Wire Stripper

Jake

ScottKE

Premium Member
Thank you. Any particular temperature rating requirement for the female wire terminals? I have some in my stash that say they are good up to 105 Celsius/221 Fahrenheit. I would imagine that would work.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have some in my stash that say they are good up to 105 Celsius/221 Fahrenheit. I would imagine that would work.
Yes Scott, those will work fine.

Jake

rjtdiver

Jake - My dishwasher recently 6/2/2022 experienced the same issue (again) described above. it first happened in 2018 and Whirlpool covered the replacement of the control board and the wiring harness.

This time Whirlpool is not willing to do much to help me and (other than this issue) I am happy with the appliance - and new dishwashers are quite expensive and the selection is slim.
In your experience, has the replacement of the control board and the wire terminal connectors provided for a long lasting and safe repair ? If this repair can be done and the machine is safe to run I will likely fix the machine and continue using it for now.

Also, do you think that the control board actually has an internal problem or is it a problem with a connector making a poor connection leading to arcing and overheating and eventually a meltdown in the area of the connector? I caught the problem with my machine relatively early and the control board is still functional . . . so I dont know if I can just replace the connections or if the control board needs to be replaced also.

Thanks
Bob

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
In your experience, has the replacement of the control board and the wire terminal connectors provided for a long lasting and safe repair ?
Yes Bob, I done many that way and never had a call back that I can remember.

Also, do you think that the control board actually has an internal problem or is it a problem with a connector making a poor connection leading to arcing and overheating and eventually a meltdown in the area of the connector?
Usually, its a control board component on the board itself that causes this problem.

Jake