• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Dishwasher KDTE504DSS0 stuck in cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctilton74

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE504DSS0
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a Kitchenaid KDTE504DSS0 dishwasher that won't finish a cycle, even a simple rinse cycle. The cycles starts, runs for minute or so, then it sounds like a relay switching, the LEDs go off, then come back on, then the cycle tries again. A few seconds later, does the same thing.

I ran the diagnostics and got error code 6-2. According to the tech sheet this indicates an electrical problem with the fill valve. I tested the fill valve and resistance was 1400, according to info I've found this seems appropriate. The tech sheet indicated if the fill valve resistance tested ok, then it could be the control board. I replaced both, cleared the error codes, and ran a rinse cycle again. Had the same problem and then got the same 6-2 error code after running the diagnostics after the rinse cycle attempt.

The tech sheet also discusses an open fuse on the control to the fill valve. I thought this would have been corrected by changing the control board but I guess I'm not sure. I don't quite understand the tech sheet as far as testing this fuse.

I did also pull the OWI sensor and gave it a clean off. I was trying to test this sensor but was having difficulty. I had my dmm in pins 6 and 4 of plug 12 and either the sensor is bad or I couldn't get good pin contact with my dmm leads. Most of the time the dmm was infinite but I'm not sure I was getting a good contact with my dmm leads. I played with the range on my dmm and when it was in MOhms I got readings of like 4.xx. The tech sheet indicates this should be 46 -52 KOhms so maybe its this sensor, I haven't tried replacing that yet. The error code doesn't point to that but there is a portion of the tech sheet with general troubleshooting that discusses getting stuck in a cycle and that the OWI sensor could be at fault.

Anyone have any good ideas of what I can try next?

Also, the tech sheet indicates the self test should run upwards of 20 minutes or so but mine only runs about 2. After it shows me the error codes, the Hi Temp lights up (at this point I can clear the error codes) and then a couple LED's go on and off on the controls, I hear the pump start for a second, then the whole cycle ends with about a 5 second beep. The tech sheet indicates a number of service intervals should have executed after the error code reporting but they don't seem to run. Any ideas why>

Attachments

• KDTE404DSS0 Tech Sheet - W10543820 - Rev B (1).pdf
    1,023.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
got error code 6-2.
Was that the only error code? Connect your meter to the motor connector then start a cycle . The meter should indicate 120 VAC.

ctilton74

Premium Member
Was that the only error code? Connect your meter to the motor connector then start a cycle . The meter should indicate 120 VAC.
Yes, that is the only error code. I've cleared codes multiple times and then started another cycle and each time the 6-2 error comes back.

To this point I hadn't needed to slide the unit out from the wall and it appears I'd need to do that in order to get to the motor connector so that seems like something to do tomorrow. Though since the only error code doesn't seem to point in that direction, and the lower arms move and water sprays when it is running (I've seen them in motion when I've opened the unit while running during this ordeal,) I'm just wondering why that would be considered in this issue? Nothing in the tech sheet seems to point to that based on the symptoms.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I didn't gleen that from your post. If the motor runs, this is the part you need:
whirlpool-cntrl-elec-w10866116-ap6027289_01_l.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick he already replaced the control board.:)

Your model has the problematic door vent that can cause this problem you are having.

Do this first--->Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a complete cycle AND a complete diagnostic cycle which takes about 23 minutes.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here:

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through a complete cycle and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

ctilton74

Premium Member
Rick he already replaced the control board.:)

Your model has the problematic door vent that can cause this problem you are having.

Do this first--->Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a complete cycle AND a complete diagnostic cycle which takes about 23 minutes.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here:

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through a complete cycle and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Let us know what you find.

Jake
Many thanks. I disconnected the vent and ran the diagnostic cycle and it actually ran close the 20 minutes.... much longer and could tell it was doing much more than previously.

I then ran a rinse cycle and it too ran through to completion.

I will be ordering up a new vent and once I get it in place and run a cycle through I'll give an update.

Thank you for your help. Nothing the diagnostics were giving me would have pointed me in the direction of the vent.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that.(y)

Yes, many folks here had this same issue and it was door vent causing this same problem and the new door vent fixed it all.:)

Jake

ctilton74

Premium Member
Received and installed the new vent yesterday. Ran through the a normal wash cycle without any issue.

Thank you again for the insight to what the issue really was. I appreciate it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @ctilton74 glad to hear the new vent fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.