• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Dishwasher KDTM354DSS5 error 9-1 mystery

csn

Model Number
KDTM354DSS5
Brand
KitchenAid
I’ve lurked on these forums for years and been able to fix a few things. I’m now stuck on a repair and wondering if anyone has advice.

So my Kitchenaid KDTM354DSS5 got the diverter leak a few weeks ago - it’s about 4 years old and based on how common the seal issue is I believe it’s a design flaw. When doing the repair I decided to also replace the diverter motor and the harness connectors. After putting everything together the top rack isn’t washing. I checked to make sure I installed the diverter correctly and the leads are getting power through the new connectors I installed. I ran the diagnostic mode and get error 9-1 every time I run it. I opened up the control board to make sure the leads to the diverter are getting the right current (confirmed 120V AC on the power wires and 4.1 V DC on the sensor lead).

I checked the resistance on the old and new diverter and get 1270 ohms). I even tried putting the old diverter back in.

The diverter goes in the hole easily leading me to believe I installed the seal correctly and it’s not a mechanical issue related to the seal.

My wife and I believe the top rack was cleaning fine before I started the repair (99% confidence).

Any recommendations on what to try next (or retry)?

Edit: should add, when I run the test cycles I don’t see the diverter motor turn.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Did you replace the sump that has the diverter seal in it? They don't sell the diverter seal separately, unfortunately. If you do find it somewhere, then its a aftermarket part and I would not trust it, as it could leak again.

Here's the sump for your model:

Your model has the problematic door vent that can cause this problem you are having.

Do this first--->Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a complete cycle AND a complete diagnostic cycle which takes about 23 minutes.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here:

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through a complete cycle and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Let us know what you find.

Jake