• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kitchenaid Dishwasher KDTM354ESS3 error code F6E1

shoboat90

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM354ESS3
Brand
KitchenAid
All

Recently been experiencing some issues with this dishwasher. Just a bit of background. A few days ago, we noticed the dishwasher being much louder than it normally is, it's generally very quiet. The following day, we noticed a burning smell coming from it. I checked to see if anything was resting agains the heating element, but that was not the case. Now when I start a cycle, it will drain/fill but doesn't wash at all. I entered the diagnostic mode and it gives the following error code: F6E1. In looking at the code, that says its a 'Won't Fill' error code however that doesn't seem to be the case because it is actually filling with at least some water when I start a cycle. The only other info I have is after it flashed the F6E1, it then flash F-E- three times. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

shoboat90

Premium Member
a bit more information. I ran the complete diagnostic cycle and at the end got the F6E1 and then F6E4. This led me to the tech sheet and a possible cause for an F6E4 could be 3. Fill valve triac on control shorted. I did the test per the sheet to determine if the unit continued to fill with the door open and it does not. The next step in the sheet says to Advance the the Cycle in the Service Diagnostic Test cycle but I can't quite figure out how to do that?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the dishwasher fills, then it can't be a fill error.

Since you also mentioned the circulation(wash) motor is NOT coming on anymore I'd disconnect power to the dishwasher and check pump filter first.

This model has had issues with the pump filter breaking and jamming up the wash(circulation) motor, look here:

Pump Filter W11084156

Jake

shoboat90

Premium Member
Sweet..thanks for the quick reply Jake! In that link you provided, there was also mention of a bad vent assembly causing the issue...should I start there or test the circulation pump to see if it's getting 120v? Would you happen to have a link for how to access the circulation pump in order to test it?
Thank you
Jim

shoboat90

Premium Member
Any guidance out there on how to test motor voltage when in wash cycle? Not sure how to access the wires as it looks like the unit needs to be removed to access the pump/motor?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Like I mentioned in post #2 of that other thread:

I'd first use a multimeter to check for 120 volts at the wash motor after it fills and should be running, if you get 120 volts and the wash motor is not running, then the wash motor is bad.

Just remove the wash motor electrical connectors and put your meter probes in them, and see if you get 120 volts after it fills when the wash motor should be running.

Here's the wash motor for your model:
Circulation Pump W10902589

Here's the video:

Jake

shoboat90

Premium Member
Thanks again for the reply but I don't understand how to check the voltage when the unit is running if it needs to be uninstalled to access the wires?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you will likely need to pull the dishwasher out some to get to those wash motor wires.

Make sure you have enough slack in your water supply line and electrical and drain hose when you pull it out some.

Jake

shoboat90

Premium Member
Ok thanks. Just so I'm clear. Pull the wires from the pump, start the cycle and wait for the drain/fill is complete....this is when the pump should turn on. Use the multimeter on the pulled wires from the pump to see if it's receiving 120V?
Planning on tackling this in the morning.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that is correct.

Just like this:
dishwash120volts.jpg

Jake

shoboat90

Premium Member
A little delayed in getting to this...but see attached video for the results. At the beginning of the video, you'll hear the tail end of the water fill. Then in 10-15 seconds a click and the voltage on the meter goes up. Thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, good video!

Yes I see it went up to 115-120 volts, so that indicates the wash motor(circulation pump) is the culprit.

You can order from my link to it in post #6.

Jake