• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Dishwasher KDTM404KPS0 Clean light blinks 4 times, then 8 times. Won't run.

MyBrotherDaryl

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM404KPS0
Brand
KitchenAid
My son put dishwashing LIQUID instead of detergent in the machine. I came home to find suds everywhere. I think it had been running for 20 minutes. We cleaned out all suds. The pump runs fine as I used the long-cancel button to clear out the cold water we put in. Now it won't run a cleaning cycle. The unit beeps and the clean light blinks 4 times, pauses, then blinks 8 times. I turned the breaker off for 20 minutes but had the same issue when I turned the breaker back on.

Note: the "options" buttons on the far right are hi temp wash, sani rinse, heat dry, 2-4-8 hr delay. Options buttons on the far left are ProWash, Tough, Normal, Express Wash, Rinse Only.

Can the board be reset or is something actually damaged here?

Any guidance you can offer would be MUCH appreciated.

Corrected model number

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Run the service diagnostics and check for other error codes then clear the error codes.

■ Press Start key to wake up control panel.

■ Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses.

■ The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

■ Invoking Service Diagnostics Cycle clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

■ Drain and wash motors will pulsate on and off.

■ Last Run cycles and options returned to default.

■ Last Run Delay returns to the lowest delay increment.

■ Calibration cycle may force an extra rinse to occur prior to final rinse (to assure clear water), then calibrates the OWI and the fill amount during the final rinse.

■ Operating state returns to Standby upon completing or terminating the Service Diagnostics Cycle.

■ The Diagnostic Cycle has 27 intervals and starts in interval 27 and ends on interval 1. The total time is about 25 minutes.

■ Interval 27 turns all the LEDs on as a display check. Interval 26 turns off all LEDs during pause prior to displaying error codes.

■ Intervals 25 - 24 - 23 - 22 are for error codes, newest to oldest.

■ A tone will play when Service Error 1 is displayed.

■ Interval 21 is a 10 second pause and the Hi-Temp LED will be blinking. Press the Hi-Temp key to clear customer history and error codes.

■ Intervals 20 to 3 is the service diagnostic cycle.

■ Intervals 2 and 1 are for any error codes found during the service test.

MyBrotherDaryl

Premium Member
Found details on another site for F8-E4 error code saying the drip tray needed to be emptied. I did that, dried it out, reinstalled the tray, and was then able to clear the code by hitting the cancel button. Machine ran fine last night.

Many thanks for your quick response. This site is my go-to site for appliance info, just happened to find the answer elsewhere this time.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Whatever works, right? I am curious how you came up with that error code. And what drip tray needed to be emptied? Did you run the service diagnostics? Doesn't that machine display the error codes?
The unit beeps and the clean light blinks 4 times, pauses, then blinks 8 times.
I would have read that as 4 8 and not 8 4.

MyBrotherDaryl

Premium Member
On Google, searched for the model number and "error 8-4", found an entry on a site regarding Maytag (which makes everything) for F8-E4 and read through the details. Given the overflow from the suds in the unit, it made sense that the drip tray might not be empty so I checked it out. This is the first unit I've owned with a drip tray. Brilliant idea for saving you from possible water damage.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm attaching the tech. data sheet for your model.

8-4 says--->Drain Motor Electrical Problem

It mentions no drip tray, in fact I don't see a drip tray on this model, here's the parts diagram:

Whirlpool owns Maytag and KitchenAid. Your dishwasher is a Whirlpool built design.

Now some of the BRAND NEW 2021 KitchenAid/Whirlpool/Maytag dishwashers are coming with BUILT-IN drip trays, but your KitchenAid is a 2017 and I don't see a drip tray for it in your parts diagram.

Jake

Attachments

• W10914074-reva.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 57

MyBrotherDaryl

Premium Member
You're absolutely right! I mistakenly used the model number for my prior dishwasher. Current one with the issue I just fixed is KDTM404KPS0.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Perfect, thanks! Now I see the drip tray, its #8 below. I'm attaching data sheet for this model too below.

KDTM404KPS0.jpg

Attachments

• tech-sheet-w11366142-revc (2).pdf
    249.2 KB · Views: 53