• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Dishwasher KDTM404KPS0 F9E1 will not drain

topload eric

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM404KPS0
Brand
KitchenAid
Dishwasher stopped working - completed cycle but the detergent just dropped out, dishes not washed or rinsed but heated and humid. Tried to run an empty cycle and it sprayed water out . It had a F8E4 error at the time.
Unplugged it and took out the drip pan after finding an article on here that seemed similar. The drip pan had some water so i cleaned and dried it and put it back together. Dishwasher turned on and turned off. I pressed start and it started an express wash. After about 15 minutes i think it started chiming and displaying F9E1. This looks like "will not drain". Can you recommend what i should do?
Thanks,
Eric

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Eric,

Here's another person that had this same problem with your same model number:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

topload eric

Premium Member
Jake,
Thanks for the link! I took off the drain pump and found it looked to be fine. The pipes coming off it on either direction were clogged up with accumulated debris. I cleared that out as well as i could. It did release some water from the pipe going to the tube when I cleared that out. The pipe or opening toward the motor was funked up too. I scraped that out but it felt like i coulent get it all. Cleaned it up and put it back together. It was flashing 9-1 so i put it in service mode and cleared errors with high temp mode. Started an express wash with an empty washer. It went ok for a few minutes then chimed and flashed 9-1.
Anything else to check? Does this indicate a bad drain pump? The linked part is out of stock, I'm wondering if this similar part would be compatible:
Supplying Demand W11412291 W11035709 Dishwasher Drain Pump Replacement a.co/8R7UnA1
Thanks,
Eric

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anything else to check? Does this indicate a bad drain pump?
Was the drain motor making any sound at all, like a hum noise when it should be draining?

The linked part is out of stock, I'm wondering if this similar part would be compatible:
Supplying Demand W11412291 W11035709 Dishwasher Drain Pump Replacement a.co/8R7UnA1
Possibly, but I would sure be careful of someone posting a aftermarket drain pump, it may work for awhile, then quit again.

Here's the OEM drain pump for your model: W11412291

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then either something is stuck in the drain pump, or the drain pump motor bearing is out, thus you'd need to replace the drain pump.

Jake

topload eric

Premium Member
Jake,
Thanks again. I'll get out the old pump again and see if i can clean it any better, make sure nothing is stuck, then get the OEM drain pump. Will update when anything changes.
Eric

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Eric, sounds good.

Jake

topload eric

Premium Member
Jake,
The chamber next to the drain pump is definitely dirty and clogged. I've been trying to clear it out as well as possible from the drain pump attachment side but not able to get it all. Is there a better way to get this cleaned out?
Thanks,
Eric

Attachments

• PXL_20220807_160248126.jpg
    PXL_20220807_160248126.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 32

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You have a filter inside that chamber, that's possibly clogged and broken, here's the part number: W11108699

Here's the dishwasher wash(circulation) motor for your model, which comes with the new filter already installed for you:
Pump Assembly W11414076

Here's the service manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16JlVUq65LUiZdSpsIJJqAnEAS7sDAYHL/view?usp=sharing

Disconnect power to your dishwasher. Then you will need to remove the dishwasher from underneath your cabinet.

Mike took lots of photos and documented them here:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Added correct service manual

Last edited:

topload eric

Premium Member
Jake,
The video and even the service guide are different than my model. My sump assembly doesn't have locking clips for instance. I did still try to get the motor assembly out, but couldn't quite get it to work. And i damaged a fastener on the pipe from the sump to the motor. I've already decided to get a new dishwasher after seeing the price of the part and the prices for new dishwashers though. Just wanted to give it a hail Mary in case the motor is clogged and not damaged. But at this point I'm done.
Do you recommend any brands or models? Thanks for the help and sorry I couldn't get the final answer on this one.
Eric

Attachments

• PXL_20220816_022129814.jpg
    PXL_20220816_022129814.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20220816_022152003.jpg
    PXL_20220816_022152003.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 24

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Eric, Sorry about that, my bad.

I edited my post above and added the correct service manual.

Maytag is a very reliable dishwasher.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anytime!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.