• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid dishwasher KUDC02IRWH2 - Water inside/bottom of washer after cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

lzajac

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDC02IRWH2
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi again. Having issues with a KA dishwasher which is about 16 years old at this point. After a cycle is complete I have standing water at the bottom (inside) of the washer. This only happened sometimes (a couple times per week) for about a month until 3 days ago where it has been happening after every cycle. Looks like clean water.

I am able to discharge the water by manually hitting "heat dry, normal" buttons twice on the console and the drain pump kicks on to drain the water from the unit.

This happened about 6 months ago where I replaced the drain pump and it drained properly until about a month ago. I've checked the discharge pipe and inside the dishwasher for clogs and leftover food, etc., and everything is clean. If I can get the pump to turn on "manually" I don't think it is the drain pump. Not sure next steps so looking for some ideas. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What was the final result or your last thread here:
Please update it before we help you with this thread.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for updating your washer thread.:)

For the dishwasher, its possibly leaking water in from the water inlet valve since you mentioned the water in the tub was clean.

When you notice clean water in the tub, look on the left side of the inside of the tub and you will see the fill hole coming into the dishwasher, see if you notice drips coming out of it.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
WPW10158389 Water Inlet Valve

Jake

lzajac

Premium Member
Ran another load....water (looked clean) left in the bottom but did not notice drips or water coming out of fill hole. Is there a way to test the water inlet valve?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is there a way to test the water inlet valve?
That's the way we test it if it starts putting water in the tub when the machine is not in use.

So I really don't know where that clean water is coming from, hopefully another tech that has seen this problem before will know and shed some light on it for us.

Intermittent problems like this are the hardest to nail down, until it does it everytime.

Jake

lzajac

Premium Member
Yes, makes sense. Ran another cycle and no water at the bottom so it is intermittent.

surfer-2

Premium Member
I have the same problem been chasing it for 3 months. Similar model and age (KUDI02CRWH1). Except sometimes my water is dirty… And sometimes it’s clean. And sometimes nothing/dry. Always has clean light on steady at end, so cycle is complete. Pump alway runs fine when I hit cancel to empty standing water. Check valve holds water back when tested by filling drain line. Drain loop very high. Will update with what I find…going to check mesh/cutter blade area again. This time will also inspect flapper/check valve for gunk,etc. while I have it opened.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, makes sense. Ran another cycle and no water at the bottom so it is intermittent.
Ok, if it starts happening again every time, then turn off the water supply line to the dishwasher, underneath the sink, after every load and see if water is still in the tub after your load is done.

I have the same problem been chasing it for 3 months. Similar model and age (KUDI02CRWH1). Except sometimes my water is dirty… And sometimes it’s clean. And sometimes nothing/dry. Always has clean light on steady at end, so cycle is complete. Pump alway runs fine when I hit cancel to empty standing water. Check valve holds water back when tested by filling drain line. Drain loop very high. Will update with what I find…going to check mesh/cutter blade area again. This time will also inspect flapper/check valve for gunk,etc. while I have it opened.

BOTH of your models use the exact same drain pump.

Watch the drain pump video below, as it also shows underneath the sink where your drain hose goes to the AIR GAP(2 Plastic hose connections), if you have an air gap check that too.

Here's the drain pump for BOTH of your models:
WPW10348269 Drain Pump

Jake

surfer-2

Premium Member
I think my problem is fixed… Probably had multiple things going on and didn’t know it. My food chopper was broken….but it is more complicated than that…here is the story…

Last week I removed cotton “kitchen twine“ from the food chopper area. The stainless screen was basically impregnated (20% or so?) with a lot of this cotton chopped twine. I cleaned it in place, and it was extremely difficult and required force. I may have advertently cracked the chopper mechanism. I did not realize at the time how easy it actually is to remove the chopper and screen and to reinstall it after watching one of your videos on the subject. I also found a loose bone about 1 inch long that was potentially blocking the inlet to this area. It would not fit through the plastic cover/housing, so it easily could’ve moved around on each washing cycle and sometimes blocked or partially blocked the water access to the chopper area. And sometimes not. So it would be intermittent. To be clear, this is outside the chopper/screen area, it was sitting on the holes of the plastic cover you takeoff get to the chopper. In summary, the partially clogged chopper screen along with the loose bone sometimes blocking the inlet to chopper area may account for the intermittent problem.

So today I found that the chopper broken off. The white plastic broke at the food chopper Blade. I also found some broken glass in the area. So with the chopper broken off over the past week the screen slowly collected normal dishwasher food junk and became partially clogged. So this is like a new problem.

I just ordered a new chopper from your site.

Also about a year ago I had a problem with similar symptoms… Intermittent draining…. I found quite a bit of broken glass from a wine glass and I think similar to the bone description above, it may have been sometimes blocking the route to the chopper area. It was very very very hard to see the glass as I recall. And feeling around for the broken glass is not the wisest thing…

Will update in a couple weeks to confirm I got my problem fixed. To the original poster of this thread, many times the water would be perfectly clear at the end of the dishwashing cycle…

Thank you Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent surfer-2, glad you found the problem.(y)

For others following this thread--->Watch this video below first, Paul tells you what to check in the sump basin and chopper screen :

Here's the chopper screen assembly for your model:
Food Chopper Assembly W10083957V

Here's the video to check/change it:

Yes, let us know how it goes after your replace the chopper screen assembly.

Jake

surfer-2

Premium Member
Problem Not Solved :-(. Installed the new food chopper. Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem.

Same orginal problem.....significant water in bottom of dishwater at the end of a full normal cycle (water level appoximatly 1/4" or so under the heating element, so basically an almost full amount of water). So to remove the water I press the cancel button. As it was draining I stuck my finger over the dishwasher drain inlet to the gargbadge disposal and it squirted strong like a garden hose with your thumb on it. So I then removed all the covers etc to inspect the new part again and that area....everything looked normal. Slight food waste on outside 1/4" perimeter of the round screen in the area the chopper doesn't reach. Seems normal.

Just to test and measure the drain pump performance, I ran the dishwasher for 5 min to fill it, stopped it mid-cycle by opening the door. Noted the water level to be just barely touching the heating element. That seemed fine....I closed door and hit "cancel" and started stopwatch while looking in garbage disposal for dishwasher water flow. It took the full 2 min to empty..... At 0 sec, pump turns on. At 9 seconds water is emptying into garbage disposal, by 15 seconds or so it is running very fast, very little noise from dishwasher. About 30 sec. into it I hear the pump in the dishwater taking what I think is a little air, and water in disposal slows to about half the rate but still flowing. Goes like this to about 90 sec, then starts slowing down. The pump shuts off at 2 min. It is down to a dribble by the time it stops. Open the dishwasher at it is completely empty. Every time, without fail, the cancel button method empties the water in the dishwasher

Somewhat lost at this point. Any suggestions?

surfer-2

Premium Member
I just ran the "rinse only" cycle and water was in the bottom up to the heating element after the cycle completed. Cancel button emptied it in 1 min 45 sec and the pump shut off exactly 2 min after start (The Cancel function and drain pump is working correctly). This is good as I can determine if it is working or not in 15 min or so and not 2.5 hrs or whatever a full cycle is.

I also ran the diagnostics and it stopped after about 3 min (stopped is all lights out). I thought the diagnostics would run for about 15-20 min. , they did not. Does anyone have a tech sheet for this unit? Again unit is Kitchen Aid KUDI02CRWH1.

I am starting to suspect the control circuit board because the cancel button always works to empty the dishwasher, and does so even when super full of water. So the drain and plumbing seem ok.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it sounds like a control board problem. I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

Disconnect power to the dishwasher and remove the control board and look for burnt spots on it.

Look at this thread:
His model uses the exact same control board your model does, look at the burnt spot he found on his control board in post #5.

Here's the control board for your model:
WPW10084141 Electronic Control Board

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - 8572216.pdf
    250.6 KB · Views: 17

surfer-2

Premium Member
I see melting on the control board and associated connector. Do you have a connector available that I can splice in? What is P9?

Attachments

• FD5C187B-1D02-45CA-A3AF-09A68671B856.jpeg
    FD5C187B-1D02-45CA-A3AF-09A68671B856.jpeg
    525 KB · Views: 18
  • 0C497C1F-BF5B-4DD6-BFBB-667C92FF9B99.jpeg
    0C497C1F-BF5B-4DD6-BFBB-667C92FF9B99.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 19

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You will need to replace the control board and go to your local hardware store and buy 3 female wire terminals and direct wire it to the control board.

You will need to cut the wires from that black melted connector and just hook the 3 wires up to the new control board directly.

F9 is the Pilot Relay.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @surfer-2 , glad to hear the new control board fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.