• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Dishwasher KUDC03FVSS4 keeps blowing thermal fuse start of drain cycle

jimhefner

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDC03FVSS4
Brand
KitchenAid
Replaced the thermal fuse (at control panel not tub) several times and same thing keeps happening. At the end of the wash cycle dishwasher loses power. It appears to be at the start of the drain cycle as water remains in bottom. Not sure if at this point of the cycle the heater, recirc pump, and drain pump are all trying to run and one of them is pulling too many amps. I replace the thermal fuse, drain pump starts, and the unit finishes it's cycle. Appreciate any and all suggestions.

Corrected brand

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Whenever you replace the thermal fuse--->You ALWAYS have to use the OEM thermal fuse, and You ALSO must install the new wires that come with the thermal fuse kit TOO, or it will cause the thermal fuse to keep blowing out continually.:)

Here's the OEM thermal fuse for your model(Video Included in part link)
W10258275 Thermal Fuse

Jake

jimhefner

Premium Member
Thanks for this.

I inspected the leads coming off the thermal fuse and they are not discolored, cracked, or brittle. Basically they appear OK.

Also, this unit does not have a wire harness like shown in the picture. They are 'long' and join the rest of the wires running to the bottom of the unit. Happy to replace the wires if that is the issue though.

Also, fwiw here are the ohm readings coming off the terminals of each part.

Heater 12.6 ohms
Drain Pump 21.5 ohms
Recirc Pump 5.9 ohms

BTW, I'm committed to fixing this unit. In my frustration of trying to sort this issue and all the thermal fuses I went out and bought a new LG. The damn thing doesn't dry and has many horizontal services on the racks so the water sloshes off on the 'dry' dishes.

Also, relative to my KitchenAid the LG seems poorly made with a bunch of plastic crap and hard to service. This thing is going back to Best Buy soon as I sort the KitchenAid.

Appreciate the assist.

Jim

jimhefner

Premium Member
New bit of information. The screen that sits next to the chopper blade is about 50% blocked from what appears to be soap 'scum'. Perhaps this blockage is causing the motor draw amps more than spec and when the drain pump then kicks on it maxes the circuit and blows the fuse. Does any one know if the recirc pump and drain pump actually run simultaneously?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0994.jpeg
    IMG_0994.jpeg
    628.9 KB · Views: 24

jimhefner

Premium Member
Update:. Start capacitor on the recirc pump 22.2µF but rated at 23.5µF +/- 5%. Close but out of range. It's a bit odd as, again, the recirc pump appears to be running already when I believe the drain pump tries to start it blows the thermal fuse. Onward...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its a thermal fuse, only excessive heat can blow it out, nothing else can. Trust me, I've done hundreds of these in 35 years and you must replace the wires that come with the thermal fuse.:)

Remember what I said--->Whenever you replace the thermal fuse--->You ALWAYS have to use the OEM thermal fuse, and You ALSO must install the new wires that come with the thermal fuse kit TOO, or it will cause the thermal fuse to keep blowing out continually.:)

Here's the OEM thermal fuse for your model(Video Included in part link)
W10258275 Thermal Fuse

Jake

jimhefner

Premium Member
Appreciate the reply. I think I'll replace the heating element since it looks a bit 'worn', the capacitor, drain pump, and the wire harness. BTW, what exactly is it that goes bad in the fuse harness? Do the space connectors get loose or corroded?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Apparently the old wiring to the thermal fuse would get to hot and blow that fuse as well, that's why they supply the new wiring with the NEW thermal fuse.:)

Jake