• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Dishwasher KUDC10FXSS5 will not complete cycle

Tom in TX

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDC10FXSS5
Brand
KitchenAid
My dishwasher has had a minor issue in the last 18 months where occasionally the control panel lights would not come on. Found if I did a power off reset, they worked again Within the last few months I discovered that if bumped the door with my hand, they would come on without the power off reset. Maybe a loose connection, but not a show stopper. However, within the last few days things have gotten worse and I cannot get it to complete a wash cycle. I read through many of the posts here and based on them, I've tried several things but unfortunately I am still down.

Steps taken:
  1. Ran diagnostics and saw codes 10-1 (dispenser fault), 3-3 (OWI failure), 6-6 (water not heating). After reviewing many posts, decided to try the OWI first.
  2. Powered off. Removed OWI (Turbidity Sensor), cleaned off heavy scale deposits and reinstalled.
  3. Powered on and tried wash cycle. Could hear washer spray. Cycle stopped before finishing. No water in tub when done.
  4. Ran diagnostics and saw same codes 10-1, 3-3, 6-6.
  5. Did reset as described by @rickgburton on this post. Opened door. Powered off for 2 minutes then powered on. Closed door and ran diagnostics. On step 20 (saw something slightly different than Rick described) when Hi-Temp Scrub flashed, pressed Hi-Temp Scrub button. System toggled to next step. Allowed system to finish diagnostics.
  6. Ran diagnostics again. No codes shown.
  7. Tried wash cycle. Could hear washer spray. Cycle stopped before finishing. No water in tub when done.
  8. Powered off. Replaced OWI p/n: WPW10705575
  9. Powered on and ran diagnostics again. No codes shown.
  10. Tried wash cycle while timing the events. Could hear washer spray. Cycle stopped at 12 minutes and Cancel/Drain light came on. At 14 minutes it stopped completely. No water in tub when done.
  11. Ran diagnostics again. No codes shown at the beginning or end of the diagnostics process.
I am at a loss of what to try next. Based on my inexperience, I don't want to get into a guess/replace cycle. Any suggestions on what I need to look at?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It sounds like your control board went bad.

Turn the house breaker off to your dishwasher, then check to see if you notice any burnt components on the circuit board. Remove the plastic covering from the control board so you can get a good look at the control circuit board.

Here's the control board for your model:
W11035586 Electronic Control Board

When you click the part link to the control board you will see a video on how to access it.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Tom in TX

Premium Member
Jake,

Thank you for your help. I replaced my ECB and my issue is resolved.

Regarding my fix, I did check for burned marks on the circuit board. While I did see some discoloration near a few pins (see red box in photo), a continuity check shows that there was no open circuit on those pins. What I found more alarming, although it may not have been the cause of my issue, was the fact that the control module was not mounted. It was dangling from the wiring harnesses and was embedded in the soundproofing. From what I see on the back, the mounting tabs were never present. It appears to me that the injection molding process didn't fill the form and as a result, no tabs were created. If that's true, it also means that someone on the assembly line didn't care and just screwed the door together with the module unmounted. See my photos.

I did try making sure that all the connectors where firmly attached, temporarily mounting the module and testing the dishwasher. It still failed to operate properly, so replaced the module.

IMG_4491.JPG
IMG_4493.JPG
IMG_4502.JPG
IMG_4497.JPG
IMG_4494.jpg

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Tom, glad the new control board fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Yes, I see what you mean with the mounting tabs broken off the control board casing, I've never run into that before on my service calls.

Jake